Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

Netgear Powerline connection for Blu-Ray player

Wigster
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Netgear Powerline connection for Blu-Ray player

Message 1 of 4
(7,526 Views)

I assumed I would have an easy time of connecting my blu-ray player (Sony BDS-S350) to my fios network (actiontec, whatever router) vs. trying to set up a slower, wireless connection. I have a Wii right near the device that is wireless and has no trouble connecting. I have two mac book pros an iphone and two work IBM's connected via VPN (128 bit wep). I can not get the network to recognize the BP. It assigns it an IP but will not connect with the server. Previously, I have brought the BP to the router and directly connected and had no problem. When I connect via the Netgear XE102G powerline network I have all the lights connected but fail to get any server response. Any ideas? Is there something in my router config that I need to change? Yes, I did the reboot router, reboot BP, unplug etc. My connections cords are a standard cat5. I have the power units plugged directly into the wall.

Thanks for you help fellow geeks ... (my caveat is that I am not so much a computer geek as a science/medicine geek).

Dr. Wayne

3 REPLIES 3
TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Netgear Powerline connection for Blu-Ray player

Message 2 of 4
(7,519 Views)
are you able to see your IP info on your BR player? Does it have a valid IP and DNS? Can you ping it from another PC?
Provider7
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 3 of 4
(7,513 Views)
Another question I would have is "can you plug a laptop into the Netgear unit and have it work off of ethernet"?
Wigster
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 4
(7,485 Views)
I can get an IP assigned which I can see both on the Blu-Ray player and my FIOS router manager. I have also tried plugging a computer in directly from the same line going to the BP and it browses the internet with out issue (faster than the hitchy, slow wireless I get normally. Perhaps there is some incompatibility with the sony player?
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title