Network Extender Needed
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2

My son has a G3100 router and needs at least 1 extender.  I see that Verizon has a E3100 extender.  Is this extender easy to install, does it require a wired connection to the router and can you use more than 1 extender?

Also, I have heard about mesh routers available from 3rd parties and was wondering if they would be a better alternative.

Would appreciate any information you can share about the above issues.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Extender Needed
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe you can have 4 E3200s connected to the G3100. They can connect via coax, ethernet or wifi. The mesh router’s can only use ethernet or wireless backhaul. I guess it really depends on the wiring in your house. If you have coax the Verizon extender may be better. If you have both ethernet and coax wired in your house then it’s your choice whether you go with a third party mesh or Verizon. 

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, that manual did provide me with some information.  I now know that it can be connected with and without wiring, but with wire is better.  The home where the extender is required has FIOS internet but not FIOS TV so don't know if wired would work in this situation.

Also, can you give me any advice on the Verizon extender versus the mesh routers?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe you can have 4 E3200s connected to the G3100. They can connect via coax, ethernet or wifi. The mesh router’s can only use ethernet or wireless backhaul. I guess it really depends on the wiring in your house. If you have coax the Verizon extender may be better. If you have both ethernet and coax wired in your house then it’s your choice whether you go with a third party mesh or Verizon. 

NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for the response, I now have a reasonable feel for the products

0 Likes