networking
networking1

I have Verizon fios,  devices within my house I have no problem connecting to the internet.

However , I have problem connecting internally among the PCs.

One PC,  running linux which  connect directly to the Verizin router via the ethernet cable,and  the other, a Wireless PC running Window XP. Both of these devices have 192.168.1.* ip addresses.

from my wireless PC I can ping the  Linux PC and it's ok , but from my wired PC, the Linux box,   I can't even ping the wireless PC.

I am running a web application on  https://192.168.1.6 : port#  on the Linux box, and I want to access this application from my wireless PC. I can access this application locally on the  linux box , but when i try to access it from my wireless PC i will not connect, and as I  indicated above I cann't even ping the wireless PC from my Linux box but I can ping the Linux box from my wireless PC.

I realized that this a networking issue, by  I  could not get it working so far.

Please help.

Thanks ... 

0 Likes
Re: networking
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try disabling the IGMP Proxy. It's been known to break a few things.

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

Use the username and password of admin along with the router's Serial Number to authenticate to the Web GUI of the router, if you have not changed the password.

0 Likes
supernet2
Enthusiast - Level 3

have you tried using static ip? did you try running any network diagnostic tools on the linux? Which Linux Distro is it? Do you have all the network configs properly loaded in? (it should already be built into the device via linux).

I use KUBUNTU LINUX, its easier to use GUI based, but are you attempting to do it GUI based or konsole based?

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7044/1

Try using konsole, and do a ping, what does it say? Packet timed out?

PING: timed out?

PING: transmit failed. General failure. ?

can you try doing that? Then we can see whats going on from their*

0 Likes
networking1

Thanks for your help , I  did that but the result is the same.

0 Likes
networking1

Thanks for your help....

I did a ping from the terminal, and nothing happen after I hit the return key it's just  hang in there with no output.

I then do "Ctrl C" or "Ctrl D" to stop the ping  then it show like how many  packages were sent  etc. and 100% packages lost.

it's not  what I normally see from the output like what you have indicated.

I looked at the log files but nothing show up  in there.

I am lost.

please advise...

Note: the Linux box I have configured static IP address, and the window PC it's using DHCP

but I dont think this make any different.

Also I can  ssh to port 22 using putty from the Window PC box to the Linux box.

What does this tell you ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Jb1677
Can you telnet from the windows oc to the Linux pc on the port that the web server is running on? If not my bet is a fw on the Linux box blocking the request
0 Likes
supernet2
Enthusiast - Level 3

@networking wrote:

I can ping the  Linux PC and it's ok , but from my wired PC, the Linux box,   I can't even ping the wireless PC. 

Okay you basically gave me a idea of what is wrong, you can ping from your wired pc to your linux box, or from your wireless to your linux box?

Which one is starting the ping to the other machine?

If your saying that you can ping from your linux box to the wireless pc then it seems you have something on the computer itself thats blocking you (updating, see Jb1677s solution more so in updating it)

If your saying that you can ping from your wireless pc to your linux box, then it seems to suggest that your wireless pc is fine, but your linux box needs updated to support the error here*

If your able to ping via ethernet to the other machine (on both machines being wired into the router) and they can both ping each other, it can suggest a issue with your wireless pc's nic card, or improper configuration.

If your able to ping via one machine thats hardwired, to the other machine that is wireless, it suggests that its something on the wireless machine is improperly configured* (assuming the wireless machine cannot return its ping when you run a ping from wireless machine to hardwired machine*)

Hope this makes sense, tried for 15minutes to think of a way to make what im saying make sense, if not just spell it out barney style how your doing your networking

(i realize your doing is hardwired is the linux box, and the wireless machine is the one you wanna start the ui on?? or the linux box is???) 

Also i dont understand if your wireless pc is the one with the ui being hosted or if your linux box is the host.

Try doing something for both of them. as well

Try going to your routers mainpage. Ex; 192.168.1.1

on both machines wired and wireless

If one doesn't work you can figure out from their that that machine is the one with some sorta lacking driver, update, or improper configuration which is restricting its outbound access (to even communicate outside to the system on your network, and by outside i mean to your device). 

If say both devices work on the network with out issue, wireless, and wired, (and the only real issue is internally pinging to one another, and or making sure their talking to each other), its most likely a improper configuration or need to update the device that isn't responding to making out bound pings to another pc on your network*)

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@networking wrote:

... I have no problem connecting to the internet ... However , I have problem connecting internally among the PCs.

One PC,  running linux which  connect directly to the Verizin router ... the other, a Wireless PC running Window XP ... PC I can ping the  Linux PC  ... can't even ping the wireless PC ... when i try to access it from my wireless PC i will not connect, and as I  indicated above I cann't even ping the wireless PC from my Linux box but I can ping the Linux box from my wireless PC ... 

I have many computers running various Linux distros and various Windows versions.  Sometimes even a small difference in the Linux configuration files will prevent network connections.  So in order to get an idea of how to address the issue, you  must provide system details.  For example ...

First, what are the details of the OS?  Which XP service pack, and which Linux distro?

Second, have you installed Samba to the Linux box?

Third, can you see either Samba shares or Windows shares from either box or other devices?

Fourth, if you see any shares, hard-wired or wirelessly?

Fifth, how have you configured Samba (i.e., post the contents of /etc/samba/smb.conf)?

0 Likes