New 150/65 only at 94 Download AND Won't Work with Gigabit Switch
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just had this installed today, converting up from the 35/35, and ran into these two problems:

1.  The 150 download is only resulting in a 94.87 Mpbs.  The installer originally said it must be my PC NIC card, but I do have a GB card, so there's does not appear to be legitimate reason for the shortfall there.  I tried to change the link speed and duplex from "auto negotation" to "1 Gbps Full Duplex," but then my computer no longer even could connect.

2.  The second issue is that I have always run my connection through a D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit Switch because I have multiple wired ethernet computers in my office.  The installer wanted to test the connection speed directly through my computer (see above) and ran into problems, so I never even tried to revert to my original setup with the switch until he left.  However, when I did the Gigabit switch does not even recognize any activity when I plug the source ethernet cord into the switch.  It does recognize the connection to the PC and the port is lit, but no lights from connection to the wall.

Any thoughts on what the problems could be?  I've included the "additional details" from the Fios Speed test at the standard site (can't get any details from the high speed version):

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 42.90Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 69.90Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_05

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 65340 bytes.
622 Mbps OC-12 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 6.78 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.02% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 37.88% of the time.
Increasing the the client's receive buffer (63.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 61.7% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [{edited for privacy}] but Client says [192.168.1.16]

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New 150/65 only at 94 Download AND Won't Work with Gigabit Switch
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

First of all, thanks to everyone for their feedback and interest in my fun-filled adventure to literally get up to speed.

1.  I did additional troubleshooting last night and isolated the problem involved the roughly 30 foot CAT 5 cable running form the router to the wall outlet in my office (where I connect via a separate CAT 5 to a Gigabit switch and two desktops).  I did this by running a daisy chain with a couple of CAT 6 connected directly to my PC, running them on the ground through the basement (vice neatly stowed through the ceiling as the original wiring is).  I went to bed believing that that somehow the connection to the outlet was connected improperly somehow.  Good enough for 100 Mbps, but somehow not enough for a 1 Gbps connection.

2.  The tech arrived today and I explained the issue, including where I had isolated the problem.  

3.  The tech explained that that CAT 5 and the wall connection are my personal wiring, and not part of Verizon's, so the work could be "billable."  He said would try to fix the original CAT 5 cable connections at each end, rather than runing a new CAT 5 cable.  He explained that running a new CAT 5 cable  would cost me $100.  After over an hour of working on the CAT 5 cable, clipping the end and reconnecting, we still could only connect at 100 Mpbs to the NIC, although he admitted that it was really hard to reconnect the cable, so he called in another tech that was nearby to check the connection.

4.  The tech decided to go ahead and run a new CAT 5e cable and we were able to successfully connect to the NIC at 1 Gig and acheived 150+ Mbps.  Of course, the other tech arrived and verified that the original cable was still slighly misconnected, fixed it, and I was able to connect at 1 Gig and 150+ Mbps using the original Cat 5.  So essentially he didn't need to run the new CAT 5e after all, and I may be billed $100 in the end.  I'm not thrilled about that, but I'm very happy to put this behind me.

Additional note:  Naturally, the techs are not even equipped with laptops with Gigabit NIC cards, so they can't even verify if the 150 Gpbs speed could be achieved on their own equipment.  I told them they should just carry a $25-40 Gigabit switch so they could at least verify a 1 Gbps connection.  That's how I originally was able to verify that my connection from the router SHOULD be able to achieve the 1 Gbps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The send buffer is too low, you should probably optimize

Not sure why they didn't do that when he was there. 

Make sure you run IE in administrator mode, otherwise the optimize won't take affect.  most people with your plan get over the 150.  Advertised VS actual is usually 150/65 ---> 155 / 75 

Also you should be testing at http://speedtest.verizon.net/fios300

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hubrisnxs,

Thanks for the quick response.  A couple of responses:

1.  I have already optimized, and used the greater than 100 Mbps versionsettings.

2.  I do test at the higher speed site, but as noted in my original post they do not give the detailed information for some reason. Using the high speed site gave me the 94.87 Mbps, whereas the normal site tops at in the 69 range, as you can see from the detailed info.

Something is obviously not working right.  As I mentioned, I have a Gibagit Network Adapter (Intel 82566DC), but when I go to my Local Area Network Status, the speed given is only 100 Mbps.  For whatever reason the signal is not pushing it up to the 1 Gbps level.  I'm not sure if this also is leading to the problem with the switch not working.

Tom 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well that send buffer is low.   that is the send buffer for a dsl user. you might have conflicting registry entries that are fighting with one another.   BUT since the tech couldn't get it on his laptop too, then I would say re-engage verizon about it.  At a glance though that stands out to me.   Do you know what ONT model you have or can find out?      Maybe it's the ONT itself, sometimes you get a bad one, or a bad port on it.  Maybe they will have to replace it? 

In my opinion they should never have left without proving the connection is working at optimial performance.  That is just BAD SHOTTY work.    just my opinion., 

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, the tech didn't test on his laptop.  He said they now test directly from the local PC.  With regards to the ONT, I'm not sure what type it is.  The tech said he replaced the old ONT with a new ONT as part of the upgrade.

Thanks again for your feedback.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

np,  Also look closely at your web100 report, it states

Increasing the the client's receive buffer (63.0 KB) will improve performance
This connection is sender limited 61.7% of the time.

So if you try a 2nd pc that's been optimized properly, or if you're familiar with the registry you can go in there and manually adjust it yourself, but it should be 261360.  Yours is considerably lower than that. You are using it as if the rwin auto tuning has been disabled.  I think if you repair that - you will be in better shape. 

The SG auto tuner does a good job as well for 100+ connections.  I really think you should get that ironed out,  you might find it fixes all your problems.  Since the VZ one isn't doing anything for you then you should try an alternate one.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3
Send buffer size is normal. That is what we see all the time. Check your rwin. It should be in a million. www.speedguide.net
But I believe if you are getting upto 95 download speed, my guess would be its not ont. Tech has probably installed a Motorola 1000 ONT or alcatel.
Do you have another pc to test with?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I stand corrected, I was mistaking the two values,  one is set correct, and I kept seeing the 63k one.   Sorry.  😛  it's been a super long day, and no iced coffee makes for a sad dad   :[    But yes, after taking a double take - it looks correct,    Hat Tip to the last poster.

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I tried it with a second PC, but I don't believe it has a Gigabit NIC card.  It  hit 92/67 on the high speed VZ test site.  Here are the results on the standard speed site that allows more detail:

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 48.22Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 74.71Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_31

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 677888 bytes.
622 Mbps OC-12 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 8.23 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 226 packets retransmitted, 3239 duplicate acks received, and 3212 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 75.31% of the time.
This connection is network limited 23.22% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [{edited for privacy}] but Client says [192.168.1.18]

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@tdaignault wrote:

I tried to change the link speed and duplex from "auto negotation" to "1 Gbps Full Duplex," but then my computer no longer even could connect.

If your computer can't negotiate a 1Gbps connection, then that is what is limiting you to 94Mbps, which is about right for a "100Mbps" port.

There could be several reasons for this.

• A bad NIC
  • A bad port on the switch
  • IMO, the most likely cause is a bad cable.  1Gbps requires all 4 pairs in the cable be connected.  If only 2 of the 4 pairs are connected correctly, you will get a 100Mbps connect, but will not be able to connect at 1Gbps.  Try replacing the cable with one known to work at 1Gbps.