Re: New 150/65 only at 94 Download AND Won't Work with Gigabit Switch
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anti-Phish,

Thanks for the feedback.  I was able to get a 1 Gbps connection when I only connected the PC to the DGS-2208 Gigabit switch, (no internet feed), so I assume that means my NIC is fully operational.

I had considered cables being that issue previously, and I have tried replacing the connecting cable from the wall to the PC, and from the Router to the connection to the Cable that runs through the wall to my outlet in my office.  The cable from the router is connected to that longer cable via a Hubbell BRIAP connection.  Unfortunately, I have no way for me to change the cable that runs from the wall connection back to the other room where the router is located.

I am also still baffled why connecting the router feed (through the wall) to the switch is not yielding any activity.  I'm at a loss at what I can do other than call Verizon and tell them to troubleshoot it.  It doesn't seem worth paying all the extra cash to bump from 35 to 150 if I can only get 94.

0 Likes
Update: New 150/65 only at 94 Download AND Won't Work with Gigabit Switch
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hubrisnxs,

Turns out you may have been right with regards to the ONT.  I got on with a Tech rep via Verizon Customer service chat tonight, and a network technician determined that there is an issue with the ONT.  They had me check the battery light on the ONT, and it was blinking on and off.  Now I'm not sure if that will magically resolve the issue, but there is SOMETHING wrong with the ONT and they'll try to troubleshoot it.

I'll keep everyone updated.  Thanks for the feedback to date!

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3
Sorry but I hate to break it to you. That number right there tells you that "sender" being the pc in this case is limiting connection 75% of the time. Battery light on ONT simply tells you that it is detecting battery in the BBU which is normal. Battery has nothing to do with internet as long as you have steady external power supply.
Try running test here on any one of these gov sites. It will give you much much more info.

@tdaignault wrote:

This connection is sender limited 75.31% of the time.

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Abhi_col,

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried some of the sites, including the Switzerland one, but I was never able to cut and paste from them.  Now that I think about it, perhaps I should have tried a different browser.  Of note, the Switzerland site said I was only limited 7% (not a typo, only seven) by the sender, which you identified as the PC.

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nothing heard from Verizon.  I did go out and take another look at the ONT.  The battery is still blinking, but I also read some of the other codes/lights on the ONT.  The ethernet cable that apparently connects the ONT to the router has a blinking green light on the MODE light of the ONT, which apparently means I have a 1000 Mbps (or 1 Gbps) connection.  Any other thoughts on what is causing the problem?

0 Likes
Swishallnet

I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned your router was switched out.  Verizon has drove me crazy with this router non-sense.  I upgraded also to 150/65, but could only hit in the upper 90's.  Then I realized the older routers have 100 mbps ports.  I called, they sent me a replacement.  I had a Gen 1, they sent a Gen 2, same **bleep** 100 mbps ports.  I call again and tell them I need the Gen 3, the red striped router.  They tell me I have to pay $114 for that.  **bleep**, Verizon sold me a 150mph sports car that has the speed capped out at 100mph, then want me to purchase an add-on to go 150mph!  The rep told me this router is not free, but no where when you order your upgrade do they tell you to get those speeds you need to buy this.  They tried to convince me that the Gen 2 can get those speeds, B.S, it can.  So I called my installer, (he was concerned about my speeds) told him about my dilemma, he said "ah hell naw" and the next day gave me a Gen 3 router.  Now I'm hitting about 130 down and 75 up.

Rant over,  So do you have the Red Gen 3 Router?  It has gig ports.

0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Swishallnet

Thanks for responding.  Sorry to hear that you had a similarly fun experience.  I did, in fact, get the new router installed, along with the new ONT, as part of my service upgrade.  

With regards to my trouble ticket, they called me yesterda to tell me that they remotely rebuilt my connection, and they needed me to restest.  Based on the fact that my switch isn't getting a signal from the ethernet outlet, they think it is a likely a cable/connection issue.  A tech will be visiting tomorrow morning to investigate.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3
Curious to find out where this goes!
0 Likes
tdaignault1
Enthusiast - Level 3

First of all, thanks to everyone for their feedback and interest in my fun-filled adventure to literally get up to speed.

1.  I did additional troubleshooting last night and isolated the problem involved the roughly 30 foot CAT 5 cable running form the router to the wall outlet in my office (where I connect via a separate CAT 5 to a Gigabit switch and two desktops).  I did this by running a daisy chain with a couple of CAT 6 connected directly to my PC, running them on the ground through the basement (vice neatly stowed through the ceiling as the original wiring is).  I went to bed believing that that somehow the connection to the outlet was connected improperly somehow.  Good enough for 100 Mbps, but somehow not enough for a 1 Gbps connection.

2.  The tech arrived today and I explained the issue, including where I had isolated the problem.  

3.  The tech explained that that CAT 5 and the wall connection are my personal wiring, and not part of Verizon's, so the work could be "billable."  He said would try to fix the original CAT 5 cable connections at each end, rather than runing a new CAT 5 cable.  He explained that running a new CAT 5 cable  would cost me $100.  After over an hour of working on the CAT 5 cable, clipping the end and reconnecting, we still could only connect at 100 Mpbs to the NIC, although he admitted that it was really hard to reconnect the cable, so he called in another tech that was nearby to check the connection.

4.  The tech decided to go ahead and run a new CAT 5e cable and we were able to successfully connect to the NIC at 1 Gig and acheived 150+ Mbps.  Of course, the other tech arrived and verified that the original cable was still slighly misconnected, fixed it, and I was able to connect at 1 Gig and 150+ Mbps using the original Cat 5.  So essentially he didn't need to run the new CAT 5e after all, and I may be billed $100 in the end.  I'm not thrilled about that, but I'm very happy to put this behind me.

Additional note:  Naturally, the techs are not even equipped with laptops with Gigabit NIC cards, so they can't even verify if the 150 Gpbs speed could be achieved on their own equipment.  I told them they should just carry a $25-40 Gigabit switch so they could at least verify a 1 Gbps connection.  That's how I originally was able to verify that my connection from the router SHOULD be able to achieve the 1 Gbps.

0 Likes