New Fios Home Router G3100 and DNS
zuhairmahd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I have the new G3100 FIOS Home Router which I got a couple of days ago.  The performance is not too different from the old Quantum, but I am having a couple of peculiar issues:

1. When trying to change the domain name (Advanced/System Settings/Local Domain) from the default of myfiosgateway.com, I cannot type any alpha characters.  I can type digits, but no alpha characters are accepted, even though the box did contain myfiosgateway.com.  The same thing is true for the host name, which is set by default to g3100.

2. Since the default domain is set to myfiosgateway.com and since it is handed out by the DHCP server to all clients, whenever I try to resolve a host on the network that does not exist, it automatically resolves to an IP address outside the network.  The address is different from one day to the other -- today it is 92.242.140.21.  How can this behaviour be changed?

Thanks in advance.

Zuhair.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Fios Home Router G3100 and DNS
zuhairmahd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for sharing. This was exactly  what I was looking for. 

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 For that IP Address https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/FIOS-DNS-Hack-Directed-to-unallocated-barefruit-co-uk92-...

#2 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

zuhairmahd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought the domain redirect had to do with Verizon's Search Assist feature -- thanks for the confirmation.

Now if I could only figure out how to change the local domain?  

Thanks,

Zuhair.

0 Likes
WakkoWarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's bad jQuery in the page that's removing every character that's not a number as you type it. I had both the offending code and some code you could use the developer console to run to force the value of the input field to be the domain you want to use in a previous response, but the response was marked as spam.

So, this time, I'll just say that you need to construct jQuery code to change the value of the #router_domain field to contain your domain, and then submit the form.

0 Likes
WakkoWarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Huh. Whenever I try to include the jQuery code in a reply, it's removed, so let me DESCRIBE it.

A dollar sign, followed by an opening parenthesis, a single quote, a hash mark, the string router_domain, then a closing single quote and a closing parenthesis. Then there's a period, the method name val , an opening parenthesis, a single quote, the text of your domain name, and then a closing single quote, a closing parenthesis, and a semicolon.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@WakkoWarner wrote:

Huh. Whenever I try to include the jQuery code in a reply, it's removed, so let me DESCRIBE it.

A dollar sign, followed by an opening parenthesis, a single quote, a hash mark, the string router_domain, then a closing single quote and a closing parenthesis. Then there's a period, the method name val , an opening parenthesis, a single quote, the text of your domain name, and then a closing single quote, a closing parenthesis, and a semicolon.

Instead of that, you could post the code using insert/edit code sample. After clicking on reply, you will have to press expand toolbar (which is to far right) first.

So let me get this straight for others..

$<"`router_domain">.val , <"mydomain.com">;

Note where mydomain.com = the domain name, Fill in the correct domain name if your domain name is not mydomain.com.

Is that correct? If not, please consider posting it.

Please and thank you.

WakkoWarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

Instead of that, you could post the code using insert/edit code sample. After clicking on reply, you will have to press expand toolbar (which is to far right) first.

I did do that. In fact, that's the first thing I did--this isn't my first forum, I've been doing web forums since at least 2000, and Usenet forums before that. It still flagged my posts (both of my attempts) as spam.

Anyway, let me try this AGAIN. The proper code is

$('#router_domain').val('my.domain.com');

And, yes, as @dslr595148 points out, you should change my.domain.com to whatever your domain actually is, unless you happen to use my.domain.com as the domain in your home.

WakkoWarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps it didn't like a user who had registered for the forum within the past 10 minutes posting sample Javascript code (which, you have to admit, is pretty suspect behavior--telling people to type Javascript into their web console is potentially dangerous stuff, and I would recommend that people who don't understand what the Javascript is actually doing never do that).  I'm hoping that now I've been registered for more than a day, it will leave my post with sample code un-flagged as spam.

0 Likes
zuhairmahd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for sharing. This was exactly  what I was looking for. 

Mr-----T

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem.  I used a .home extension for my domain.  I still cannot resolve other machines over my local network.

Regards,

T

0 Likes