New FiOS Installation - Techie - Need router recommendations.
John123

We're a small business in New Jersey.  FiOS Installation coming later this week.   35/35 & 13 static ips.  

Q1:   Anyone know the make & model of the FiOS modem that will be coming?  

Q2: Router?

In our office we a couple of Web servers and 10 normal staff PCs.

Currently we have old/slow DSL/Megapath service.    The old Netopia Router does everything, a) DSL gateway,  b) firewall that we config'ed,  c) NAT (we use 192.168.1.n inside).   One cat5 to a 16port 1gb D-link switch, then to PCs .   Been working fine, haven't really messed with it in a few years.

Since I'm a newbie to VZ FiOS.  I have some basic setup Q&A for us.  I'm assuming that I should not use the VZ Modem for most of the stuff the old Netopia is doing.     So I assume I should put a new wired  ROUTER downsteam from VZ Modem.

Q2:   Can you recommend any particular Router?     Any general how-to guidelines would be appreciated !

0 Likes
Re: New FiOS Installation - Techie - Need router recommendations.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

John123 wrote:

Q1:   Anyone know the make & model of the FiOS modem that will be coming?   

FIOS does not use modems.  You will be getting an Actiontec MI-424WR router.

John123 wrote:

I'm assuming that I should not use the VZ Modem for most of the stuff the old Netopia is doing.     So I assume I should put a new wired  ROUTER downsteam from VZ Modem. 

No need.  The VZ supplied router should do everything you need.

I noticed you said you were getting 13 static IPs.  The Actiontec will only map 5 external static IPs to internal IPs (static NAT).

If you truly have 13 machines exposed to the internet, you will need a 16 port switch connected to the VZ ONT, then each machince with a public IP connected to that switch. I doubt the Netopia could keep up with the FIOS 35/35 speeds.

0 Likes
John123

Thanks Anti-Phish.  You wrote:  "A 16 port switch connected to the VZ ONT"    Do you mean directly to the ONT?  Skip the Actiontec MI424WR entirely?    I thought any customer Router, such as a NetGear WNDR4500, had to go downstream of the Actiontec.   Like the TradeOff FAQ #4.   

ONT  --(cat5) --->  Actiontec MI424WR  (Bridged)  --->  Netgear 4500 (NAT & Firewall)    ---> 16 Port Switch

I have 13 static IPs from VZ FiOS order installed today.    Our small business needs the 13 internet IPs inbound working.   I dont really care about the TV COAX part of the Actiontec. 

Will the above diagram work for us?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you don't have FIOS-TV, you don't need the Actiontec at all.

Trade-offs FAQ option #4 is only for coax connection from the ONT.

A business install should be cat5 from the ONT.

I don't know if the Netgear 4500 can handle NATing 13 static IPs.

If not, your diagram won't work.

What I was suggesting is:

ONT------16 port switch+---public IP #1

+---public IP #2

(etc)

+---public IP #13

Obviously, this does not provide a common firewall.  For that you would need a business class firewall capable of NATing 13 static IPs.

0 Likes
John123

Hi Anti-Phish -

Can your recommend a couple of models for  "business class firewall capable of NATing 13 static IPs."   Under 10 PCs, 5 of which are web servers. 

Thanks John

0 Likes