New FIOS router
slynkie2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased the "new" FIOS router with the dual antenna and I have the 75/35 service. The new router "promised" an upgrade in speed but it is no different than the older version. I have gone in and limited the connections to N (performance mode) but didnt change anything. I have a second wi-fi router that is in the 5Ghz range that I get the full 75Mb on WIFI. Is there somewhere in the router where i can change to 5Ghz? I only bought this "better, faster" router BECAUSE it was supposed to equal my Netgear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@slynkie2001 wrote:

I purchased the "new" FIOS router with the dual antenna and I have the 75/35 service. The new router "promised" an upgrade in speed but it is no different than the older version. I have gone in and limited the connections to N (performance mode) but didnt change anything. I have a second wi-fi router that is in the 5Ghz range that I get the full 75Mb on WIFI. Is there somewhere in the router where i can change to 5Ghz? I only bought this "better, faster" router BECAUSE it was supposed to equal my Netgear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The best Verizon router is a 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi device with a max WiFi speed of 130Mbps.  It is faster than the previous version, which is a 2.4GHz 802.11g device with a max WiFi speed of 54Mbps.  It also has a faster processor and more memory, which may make connections faster, especially for the faster speed tiers.

If you were not using the WiFi from the old router, it is unlikely that you'd see much, if any, of a speed difference.  The faster processor and memory may make a noticeable difference if you have lots of devices and connections going, but other than that I wouldn't expect much.

The Verizon routers are single band.  An external dual band router provides better WiFi than Verizon's routers.

There's lots of information on DSL reports about using non-Verizon routers.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

See section 3, "Networking."

Have Fun

Re: New FIOS router
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus
Moved for greater exposure
0 Likes