New G3100 Router MOCA & Ethernet Connection
MarioS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I have the older Actiontec MI424WR with 100/100 Internet speed that I moved from my old house to my new house.  When I had the FIOS installed the tech said I needed a Cat5 Ethernet connection and a COAX connection from the FIOS box to my router.  However, the Ethernet connection link lights never turn on.

I'm planning on upgrading the router to the new G3100 model.  Do I have to have something enabled for the MOCA and Ethernet connection to work....?  I am not going to upgrade my speed.  I wasn't sure if the MOCA / Ethernet connection was an Either / OR or in conjunction with.  Does anyone know..?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New G3100 Router MOCA & Ethernet Connection
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your internet connection can be provided from the ONT via WAN ethernet or WAN coax. For coax 100/100 mbps is the limit. Speeds of 150 mbps and above have to be ethernet. 
If your WAN connection is on ethernet you still need the coax connected at the router to provide a MoCA LAN connection to the set-top boxes so they get TV Guide and ON Demand services. 
If internet only you will only need either ethernet or coax connected depending on how you internet is provided from the ONT. To know for sure on the Actiontec router there is a WAN ethernet and WAN coax light. Whatever one is on is how your internet is provisioned. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your internet connection can be provided from the ONT via WAN ethernet or WAN coax. For coax 100/100 mbps is the limit. Speeds of 150 mbps and above have to be ethernet. 
If your WAN connection is on ethernet you still need the coax connected at the router to provide a MoCA LAN connection to the set-top boxes so they get TV Guide and ON Demand services. 
If internet only you will only need either ethernet or coax connected depending on how you internet is provided from the ONT. To know for sure on the Actiontec router there is a WAN ethernet and WAN coax light. Whatever one is on is how your internet is provisioned. 

MarioS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a bunch.  That cleared things up for me. 

Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why is it that coax can't support above 150 mps for connection to the ONT but it can handle 1000mps via MOCA bonded 2.0? I don't like that I'm going to need to stick my G3100 down in the garage at the far corner of my house so that it has an Ethernet connection for my Gigabit service.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes