New Gen 3 I router
slynkie2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased the new Gen 3 version i router and my wireless speed have not gotten any better. I get better speed from my dual band (2.4ghz/5Ghz) Belkin router... usually 50-60 DL and 30+ UL wirelessly. Why wont the new router have any better than 30U/20D wirelessly. Thats what I was getting with my old router. I moved up to the 75/35 service before I bought this router and then had to buy this router thinking it would attain at least the same as my Belkin N600 wirelessly, but it definitely doesnt. I bought this in the hopes to just have my router and modem in one box. I figured I would eliminate the other router out of the mix. What a waste of $99. 

0 Likes
Re: New Gen 3 I router
knitler

What's your device?

Does your device have N?

Does it have latest drivers?

Did you see if there N networks in the area use the same channel you do?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Change the setting in the router from compatibility mode to performance mode. Update your wireless driver from your wireless card's webpage. Run fios speed optimizer. Reboot the computer and run speedtest.verizon.net.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

If you were using the 5Ghz radio on your Belkin then you are never going to match those speed using any 2.4Ghz radio on any router.

Your best bet for maximum speed is to connect your Belkin to your Actiontec using either a Ethernet cable or purchase a MOCA adapter and place your Belkin elsewhere in your home any place you have coaxial cable for TV.   In this day and age with so many WiFi APs you need multiple APs in you home to have decent WiFi speeds.

slynkie2001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was on this board looking for answers and tried all of them... performance mode, moving router around in spare room for better signal, even purchased an extender which apparently made it worse. The "ad" for the newer FIOS router (GEN I) promised better range and speeds than the original one I received. The original one had one antenna and the newer model had two, so i was fooled into believing better range, better speed. I even tried using inSSIDer to see if I was getting interference but my channel was clear. I was trying to get those speeds (70-85Mbps) on an Xbox One, which uses 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz... I decided to just run an ethernet cable from the Actiontec router to the Belkin and put the Belkin in my living room. It is unfortunate because the newer FIOS router was promised to have faster wifi but it was zero difference. I upped my plan to 85Mbps and the newer GEN I model was supposed to be around that on wifi. Guess I should have just stuck with my original setup, saved $99 and continued to use my Belkin. With the Belkin in my living room now I am getting around the 85Mbps on all my 5Ghz devices... I dont even use the WIFI on the Actiontec anymore... disappointing but what are you going to do, eh? Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

What encyrption are you using for the wireless? You need to use WPA2 encryption.

0 Likes