New installation - in new single family house newly constructed
KC510

Hi, i am moving into a new single-family home constructed my community only supports Verizon i have already given notice in my current rental apartment and i have to vacant my current apartment.

FIOS team said they can not send a technician to do the installation my house is new construction and nobody is in the house.  I am also open to taking necessary precautions when the installation team comes.  But if i do not get FIOS i would be in neck-deep trouble as both me and my would not be able to work from home and can loose our jobs 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New installation - in new single family house newly constructed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I actually hope the FiOS in a Box plan works out. That seems creative and cool at the same time. In the future, maybe Verizon can come up with a way that would allow them to let able customers install their own ONT. I know for myself, I'd love to toss the ONT into my network rack, and I have the know-how for grounding it, wiring up telephone and TV, etc.

I know some other ISPs, especially wireless, have been doing similar. They still come over to install the Antennas and run the cabling outside. But once done outside, they drill a hole through the house where it's safe, and hand the customer the needed cables then seal it all back up. All the customer has to do is plug in the gear and power it up. Then the tech does QA remotely using their computers, and a video call with the customer if possible.

At one point, Verizon was toying with sending out a G1100-like router with a built-in ONT, the G2100. That was also coinciding with some reports of IPTV trials. Maybe it'll come back off the shelf and show up in production someday. I just hope there is still the option for separate ONT if it does happen, so there isn't the concern of "forced router which might be buggy"

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I read in a thread on dslreports.com that Verizon is going to start doing temporary installs call “FiOS in a box” so they don’t have to come inside. It sounds like it is brand new so it might take a few days before a rep on the phone understands what you’re talking about...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32712808-No-in-home-tech-visits-due-to-Covid~start=30#end

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I actually hope the FiOS in a Box plan works out. That seems creative and cool at the same time. In the future, maybe Verizon can come up with a way that would allow them to let able customers install their own ONT. I know for myself, I'd love to toss the ONT into my network rack, and I have the know-how for grounding it, wiring up telephone and TV, etc.

I know some other ISPs, especially wireless, have been doing similar. They still come over to install the Antennas and run the cabling outside. But once done outside, they drill a hole through the house where it's safe, and hand the customer the needed cables then seal it all back up. All the customer has to do is plug in the gear and power it up. Then the tech does QA remotely using their computers, and a video call with the customer if possible.

At one point, Verizon was toying with sending out a G1100-like router with a built-in ONT, the G2100. That was also coinciding with some reports of IPTV trials. Maybe it'll come back off the shelf and show up in production someday. I just hope there is still the option for separate ONT if it does happen, so there isn't the concern of "forced router which might be buggy"

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have to wonder how they deal with the whole "laser light can blind you" issue.

I'm guessing with FiOS in-a-box the tech disconnects the drop fiber before delivering the equipment, talks the customer through the connection and then connects the fiber and completes provisioning.

Until they can come up with a way to avoid laser light exposure without a trained tech, I doubt they will have a self install for ONTs.