New Quantum Router and ONT
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

I currently have the MI424WR Rev. F and was thinking of upgrading to the Quantum router, since I would like to extend the signal and take advantage of the AC wireless signal.  My plan is the 75/75, which is fine. 

However, the ONT is obviously about 5 years old.  Will I need a new ONT if I don't plan to upgrade the speed at this time?  I was told if I want to take advantage of upgrading the speed, a new ONT would be necessary.  I don't need to at this moment. 

So, bottom line:  new Quantum router, do I need new outside ONT too?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Quantum Router and ONT
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless your ONT is a BPON ONT or is not capable of supporting the higher speeds (Ethernet port is damaged or is 100Mbps), your ONT will remain the same. An ONT installed five years ago is likely GPON and is new enough. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.

Mine is more than 6 years old and I have Quantum.

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you!  But I am guessing that if I wanted to upgrade the speed in the future, the ONT would have to be replaced then?   

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless your ONT is a BPON ONT or is not capable of supporting the higher speeds (Ethernet port is damaged or is 100Mbps), your ONT will remain the same. An ONT installed five years ago is likely GPON and is new enough. 

0 Likes