New service / firewall security / ping question
AdamCV

I just had FiOS installed (TV + internet) and am checking the router / firewall setup to ensure it isn't exposing me somehow.  First thing I did was try pinging my external IP address (from another computer).  And guess what ... the router responds to the ping.  So my first question is where do I disable this, in the router / firewall setup?  The router is Westell 9100 EM (and yes I have already changed the default admin password -- I tried to actually remove the admin account (after creating an alternative one) but it won't let me).

My General firewall setting is the default of "typical / medium."  But I don't see anywhere under the Firewall tab where it lists specific ports or anything about Ping respones...

A second, perhaps related question:  back under the Main tab / Port Forwarding screen (which at the top says "Port Forwarding: Expose services on the LAN to external Internet users"), I see an entry for local host (127.0.0.1) that seems to enable traffic from any network address and any Public IP address on any TCP port up to 4567.  What's the purpose of this?  It doesn't seem like a good idea to "expose all LAN services to external internet users"???

Thanks for any help.

Adam

0 Likes
Re: New service / firewall security / ping question
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@AdamCV wrote:

A second, perhaps related question:  back under the Main tab / Port Forwarding screen (which at the top says "Port Forwarding: Expose services on the LAN to external Internet users"), I see an entry for local host (127.0.0.1) that seems to enable traffic from any network address and any Public IP address on any TCP port up to 4567.  What's the purpose of this?  It doesn't seem like a good idea to "expose all LAN services to external internet users"???

Thanks for any help.

Adam

That is the ISP's back door to your router.

0 Likes
AdamCV

I found the place to disable Ping replies ... it's under Remote Administration.  I feel better!

Regarding the "back door to my router" reply ... that's what worries me!  In my experience, back doors are usually found and exploited by people who weren't intended to have access.  I guess I have an extra level of security, inasmuch as I have another firewall/router connected to the Verizon router (with my PCs behind the 2nd firewall) ... so perhaps the point is moot.

0 Likes
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1
As for the router responding to external ping requests, that helps us with troubleshooting the connection in case you ever have to call in with a problem. If you do have to call in, make sure to let the rep know that you disabled the router's response so they don't try to fix a connection that is actually working.
0 Likes