New to Fios, Having a strange internet issue
makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello. I had fios triple play service installed 2 days ago, & I'd like to know if this issue is common. After my computer boots up completely, it takes another 2-3 minutes before I have internet service. I've done everything I know to fix this,because before fios I had cable & never had to wait to get online(5-6 seconds tops). I've reset,rebooted & changed the cat5 cable from the router to my machine. I've reset all my network settings, &  router settings, but  it still takes long to establish a connection. I think I have a bad router. any help is appreciated. the router is MI424WR.  My pc is self-built, AMD K8 processor 3.21 GHz, 4 GB memory, running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New to Fios, Having a strange internet issue
makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I found the reg fix & it seemed to work. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you are unable to get online, go to command prompt (enter in cmd into your Start Menu search box) and run the command "ipconfig /all". For your Local Area Connection adapter, check to see if it has obtained an IP address (not a 169.254.*.* addresses, those are bad) with Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS servers (probably the same IP as default gateway). If you are missing information, such as DNS servers or Default Gateway, there's probably an issue with the router itself or some incompatible piece of equipment or setting between the ActionTec's switch and the PC's NIC.

It is a good idea to also check any Firewall software that may be running. Sometimes they can lead to a lack of connectivity when starting up or when more than one is running.

makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I have an ipv6 address, & it says toredo tunneling interface, auto configuration but no dns or gateway numbers

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Teredo, that is normal. It's a Link-Local address you are probably seeing. I'm focused on the IPv4 section of the IPConfig readout, as that is right now the only thing the Verizon routers support on the software layer of things. IPv6 via Teredo can be done once an IPv4 connection is established.

makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I Change  the IPv 6  to IPv4? or should I just leave everything alone.because when I do get connected, everything runs good. any suggestions?

Hubrisnxs
Legend
I'd disable IPv6, especially if you don't use ipv6 for anything. It may in fact be your isssue.
makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you tell me how,it's been awhile since I worked in networking. Thanks

makinwaves
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I found the reg fix & it seemed to work. Thanks for the help.

roghyde1

Run msconfig when the menue comes up click on startup and delete some of the programs you don't need right away.

0 Likes