New to FIOS poor wireless signal WIFI repeater question
NavyGunner

Hi I am new to FIOS, I am a recent switch over from Cox cable. On cox I used a ASUS router and Belkin range extender to repeat my routers wireless signal in my home and to my garage. My house was built in the late 50's and all the metal in this place decreases wifi capabilities.

Can I use a Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender (Model: F9K1106v1) or Itek (Model: A5) range extender with a FIOS Quantum Gateway (FIOS-G1100) or do I have to buy the FIOS Network Extender?

If so I need advanced help, I have tried every setting their is and I had no problems setting up either of the two repeaters on cox cable. I would really like to not spend $80 on more equipment I already have.

0 Likes
Re: New to FIOS poor wireless signal WIFI repeater question
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's usually recommended to use the FiOS range extender or to hardwire your Access Points back to the main router, since repeating your signal effectively halves your speed each time the signal is repeated, or worse if the signal is garbage coming to or from the repeater. Depending on what FiOS plan you have and how many times you repeat the signal, you might be killing your throughput. 

If you still have your ASUS Router handy, set up the ASUS in AP mode rather than Router Mode. Run an Ethernet cable to the ASUS where you would like it to provide increased coverage, and then wire it up. ASUS should have a guide available on how to wire the router up when it is in Access Point mode. From there, you can use the Verizon supplied router (Which you should buy, by the way. Don't pay the rental fee) as your main router.

0 Likes