New Verizon Router Causing Disconnects
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was happily using the Actiontec Verizon router, getting speeds of 141.6 (this morning) on the 5g setting. I renewed my plan because Verizon said I had to and they sent me the BHR4 router with a return box for the old router, and I’ve had problems staying connected to the internet. It drops, even on the non 5g network.  I believe this is the router that many had/have problems with.

Q1) Was there a remedy?

Q2) Since I’m happy with the Actiontec, can I return the new router and keep the Actiontec?

My FiOS TV doesn’t use the router.

0 Likes
Re: New Verizon Router Causing Disconnects
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Or must I use the 192.168.1.1 address on a desktop PC to make changes?

0 Likes
Re: New Verizon Router Causing Disconnects
jonjones1
Legend

@dale001 wrote:

I was happily using the Actiontec Verizon router, getting speeds of 141.6 (this morning) on the 5g setting. I renewed my plan because Verizon said I had to and they sent me the BHR4 router with a return box for the old router, and I’ve had problems staying connected to the internet. It drops, even on the non 5g network.  I believe this is the router that many had/have problems with.

Q1) Was there a remedy?

Q2) Since I’m happy with the Actiontec, can I return the new router and keep the Actiontec?

My FiOS TV doesn’t use the router.

Originally it was linked to a firmware update. Many have posted after the update that the situation of crappy wifi has been fixed. However many of those customers have said it occurred later on. So I don’t believe it was fixed.

i cannot see why you couldn’t continue to use the old Actiontec if its still supported.

it may not be and verizon may want to get the crappy Quantum router G1100 out to all customers. Google the wifi issues with the greenwave routers. Not good.

if you have internet only i would just buy a much better router like a Netgear or Asus or TP Link . The R8500 from Netgear is on sale from Amazon not $400+ like i paid but around $145 new. But that maybe a once in a lifetime sale since netgear just put out another RX40 router with a high cost.

0 Likes
Can I return the new router Verizon sent me and keep my old one (the Actiontec)?
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

The new router Verizon sent me has given me nothing but headaches. They expect me to return the Actiontec router in the return box, but I get over 140 megabits speed and no issues. I want to retry the new router and keep the old. 

Think I can do this?

0 Likes
Re: Can I return the new router Verizon sent me and keep my old one (the Actiontec)?
jonjones1
Legend

I would first see via google search if the old Actiontec is still supported on fios.

if it is i would find a fios store location and return the new one. But get a receipt for the return.

as i said verizon owns the equipment so they may insist on upgrading the router. Now if you were not paying a rental fee previously and now you are being charged one then you know it was simply to garner revenue. In this case buy your own better router.

0 Likes
Re: Can I return the new router Verizon sent me and keep my old one (the Actiontec)?
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do I need to type in the IP address (192.168.1.1) and make any changes for the new Verizon router to work well? This video seems to suggest doing it (begin 2:20 minutes into the video). https://youtu.be/lHoc-szfM1E

0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even after connecting the new router, my old network 5g address appears in my list of available networks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The new router sends out a SSID that is previously setup. When your old Actiontec was broadcasting its wifi single it had a specific name for the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.

your new router has a broadcast of its 2.4 and 5 ghz bands, but should not be the same identifier.

You access your router via 192.168.1.1 enter the login name and password from the Quantum to access the wifi and give them new names. In example home2.4 and home5.0 or any name you like. Save and exit. Then when your devices go to connect look for the names you changed them to.

Any old wifi networks you have can either selected on your device as “forget network”

or simply ignore them.

dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.

i was hoping that's why I keep getting disconnected with this new router.

0 Likes