Newby FiOS Customer - Installation Questions
DaveMcKeen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have Time Warner Cable Internet (Yes, I saw the thread.)  I have my FiOS installation scheduled for next week, the 9th.  Questions:

• When i placed the order I specified I did not need a new wireless router.  I have a modern one that works fine with my Samsung Tab-S Tablet throughout the house.  I specified that all I needed was an Ethernet connection from the FiOS interface.  Today I received an installation kit.  Inside is a wireless Internet router.  I called support and was assured I would not be charged the $6/mo fee.  Why did I receive a wileless router?
  • What will my new email address be? 
  • I have a gmail account and email with my website host.  Both are forwarded to my TWC email address.  At what point do I change the forwarding address?
  • Will the installation technician help me set up my Microsoft Outlook with the new email parameters upon completion of installation?

I'm experienced with computers, but am nervous about transitions like this.  I need assurance.  A secruity blanky.  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks - Dave

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Newby FiOS Customer - Installation Questions
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@DaveMcKeen wrote:

I currently have Time Warner Cable Internet (Yes, I saw the thread.)  I have my FiOS installation scheduled for next week, the 9th.  Questions:

• When i placed the order I specified I did not need a new wireless router.  I have a modern one that works fine with my Samsung Tab-S Tablet throughout the house.  I specified that all I needed was an Ethernet connection from the FiOS interface.  Today I received an installation kit.  Inside is a wireless Internet router.  I called support and was assured I would not be charged the $6/mo fee.  Why did I receive a wileless router?
  • I have a gmail account and email with my website host.  Both are forwarded to my TWC email address.  At what point do I change the forwarding address?
  • Will the installation technician help me set up my Microsoft Outlook with the new email parameters upon completion of installation?

I'm experienced with computers, but am nervous about transitions like this.  I need assurance.  A secruity blanky.  Smiley Frustrated

Thanks - Dave

If you are getting internet only then you can use your own router with an ethernet connection to the Verizon ONT. If Verizon sent you a router more than likely you are going to get billed either a one time fee or a monthly fee so you better check with them about that.

When your service is installed your account will need to be activated, it is at this point where you will be able to set up a user name and email address at Verizon.

You will not be able to change your forwarding address until after the user name and email address are created at Verizon.

You'll need the following email settings:

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
  • For more email and remote access configuration options see Verizon Online Email Settings

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@DaveMcKeen wrote:

Thanks - Dave

If you are getting internet only then you can use your own router with an ethernet connection to the Verizon ONT. If Verizon sent you a router more than likely you are going to get billed either a one time fee or a monthly fee so you better check with them about that.

When your service is installed your account will need to be activated, it is at this point where you will be able to set up a user name and email address at Verizon.

You will not be able to change your forwarding address until after the user name and email address are created at Verizon.

You'll need the following email settings:

• Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
  • For more email and remote access configuration options see Verizon Online Email Settings
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DaveMcKeen wrote:

Thanks - Dave

Are you an internet only customer?

Not sure I understand why you are forwarding your gmail and ISP email.  Would make much more sense to set up outlook with the 3 email accounts.

0 Likes
DaveMcKeen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Telcoguru- Thanks very much!  Also phone tech support said I could go ahead and activatge via activate.verizon.net in advance of the installation, which I will do.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please be aware, since Verizon sent you a router. If you did not elect to pay the one-time fee to buy the router, you will probably have a monthly rental fee on your bill. Please consider buying the Verizon router to remove this silly monthly charge. No different from buying your own cable modem to avoid Time Warner's $8/m rental fee, or their $13/m modem+Wi-Fi rental fee, except you'll have to buy the router from Verizon direct rather than at a store (although you could have selected the option to bring your own FiOS router, too).

You can set it aside as a spare in case you need it for a Verizon call, or in case you want to use it to either augment, or substitute in for your current router should it fail. I would hang onto the Verizon router for the life of your service. Note that if you do subscribe to FiOS TV, the Verizon supplied router is required for the TV Service to fully work. Unlike Digital TV Service from a Cable MSO, where the Set Top Boxes have DOCSIS modems in them to get Guide and VOD info, the FiOS STBs have MoCa hardware in them that talks to the FiOS router for this data.

0 Likes