No connection after updating my router settings.
MEKrunner

I got an E-Mail from Verizon advising me to upgrade my router protection to another system. I'm not computer literate, so I did as advised. Now I can only use my laptop with Windows 8. My desktop with Windows 7 says it's connected to an unknown network. I enter the user name "admin" and my new password, but no luck. Out of frustration, I reset my router. Again, my laptop has no problems, but the desktop is still lost even when I enter "admin" and "password" on the log in screen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried rebooting the router with no luck. 

Any advise is appreciated.

Mike

0 Likes
Re: No connection after updating my router settings.
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

FOLLOW THIS PATH

Start>>Help and Support>>Browse Help Topics>>Internet-going online and using the web>>

Troubleshoting Internet connection problems>>Why can't I connect to the Internet

IF NEED BE EXPLORE OTHER PATHS SIMILARLY.

Let us know if YOU solved your problEM.

Good luck and 73's for now.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MEKrunner wrote:

I got an E-Mail from Verizon advising me to upgrade my router protection to another system. I'm not computer literate, so I did as advised. Now I can only use my laptop with Windows 8. My desktop with Windows 7 says it's connected to an unknown network. I enter the user name "admin" and my new password, but no luck. Out of frustration, I reset my router. Again, my laptop has no problems, but the desktop is still lost even when I enter "admin" and "password" on the log in screen. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried rebooting the router with no luck. 

Any advise is appreciated.

Mike

Presumably yo mean the router login?

After a reset to factory defaults the the router login the userid will be admin and the password will certainly NOT be password.  Typically it will be some password that is printed on a sticker on the back of the router.

What model/version router are you talking about?

0 Likes
MEKrunner

My router is model MI242-WR. 

So if I restet it, is my new password the WEP key on the sticker?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If it's the single antenna model then it's your serial number find under the UPC barcode and is all uppercase letters

Dual antenna actually has a pw labeled as router pw
0 Likes