No Ethernet Port on my ONT
TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello- I would like to use my own router (so I don't have to keep paying the monthly rental fee), but don't see an ethernet port on my ONT. I only have a coax cable coming out of it and connecting to the router. Is it that my service was installed so long ago that the ONT installed didn't give me that option.

The router I have is Fios-Gen4.

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No Ethernet Port on my ONT
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Edg1 says, all ONTs have an Ethernet port.  You'll need to contact Verizon to switch the WAN connection from MoCA to Ethernet.  Best way to do that is via VZDirect as the phone and chat reps may not understand the request.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

If you have FiOS TV service with Verizon boxes, it gets a bit more complicated to use your own router as a MoCA LAN is required.  Check out this FAQ for more info:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

Verizon does not provide any support when one of their routers is not used.  Not a big issue for reasonably technical folk, but it is good to know.

You can also buy a Verizon router to eliminate the rental fee.  $299 for a tri-band WiFi6 G3100 new from Verizon or well under $100 for a used G1100 online.   If buying used, be sure the seller has a fair return policy if there are any issues such as a Verizon branded router with Frontier firmware or other problems.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The oldest ONTs support ethernet connections.  The first ONTs didn't even actually have a MoCA connection. If you sent a picture of your ONT that would help. They are typically next to the coax port on Motoral/Arris models and next to the voice ports on other models.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Edg1 says, all ONTs have an Ethernet port.  You'll need to contact Verizon to switch the WAN connection from MoCA to Ethernet.  Best way to do that is via VZDirect as the phone and chat reps may not understand the request.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

If you have FiOS TV service with Verizon boxes, it gets a bit more complicated to use your own router as a MoCA LAN is required.  Check out this FAQ for more info:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

Verizon does not provide any support when one of their routers is not used.  Not a big issue for reasonably technical folk, but it is good to know.

You can also buy a Verizon router to eliminate the rental fee.  $299 for a tri-band WiFi6 G3100 new from Verizon or well under $100 for a used G1100 online.   If buying used, be sure the seller has a fair return policy if there are any issues such as a Verizon branded router with Frontier firmware or other problems.

Good Luck.

TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the responses.

I've attached some pics as you suggested.

Again, I appreciate any help.

imageimageimage

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is actually just the BBU/PSU. That powers the ONT. Trace that beige cable wire, on the other end will be the ONT. It is most likely outside. 

TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are correct. I found it on the outside of the house just on the other side of the wall. 
Unfortunately, it looks like I would have trouble trying to fish an ethernet cable through the wall once I get the ONT open. I have pics but am having trouble attaching them this time.

Is there a splitter or converter that I could use to attach the coax cable from the inside unit that I could then connect my router to via an ethernet cord? Is that something you'd recommend?

I greatly appreciate your help. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The inside unit is only to power up the ONT. You have to get the ethernet from the ONT outside the router's location.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can use a device called a MOCA adapter.

Keep in mind that it is only good up to speeds of 100M.

Do you have TV service with FiOS STBs?

If so, you will need to connect the router to the coax so that STBs can get guide and on demand data.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you referring to a WAN MoCA adapter? That would be a good solution. Do you know what brand and model to look for?

TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
I don't know the difference between a WAN MoCA and a LAN MoCA, but saw on DSL Reports that the WAN MoCA is suggested. My router has a WAN port, so I figured that's what I need.

I welcome suggestions for brands/models.

Thanks, again!

0 Likes