Re: No Ethernet Port on my ONT
TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was finally able to upload pics of the ONT on the outside of my house. Looks like the cables go in to the unit on the inside through the hole the tech created and I don't think I could successfully run the ethernet cable through the same with the same success. That's why I'm considering a MoCA adapter.

imageimage

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Frontier FiOS uses a WAN MoCA adapter from Arris. It’s the MEB1100. So the coax that is currently in your Quantum Gateway will connect to the MEB1100 and the ethernet will come out to the WAN port of the router you choose to buy. 
Like previously posted you will only be able to do 100 mbps max with this setup. Anything more will require ethernet from the ONT. Do you already have your own router? Or do you still need to pick one up?

TroublewONT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello-

I was thinking I'd use this old router I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-BEFW11S4-Wireless-B-Cable-Router/dp/B00005ARK3

Do you think it would work once i get my hands on an adapter?

Thanks for all your help. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess it would be ok for hardwired devices since it's 10/100 router, but it's wireless B. You are only going to get 11 mbps max on wifi. 

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello - I have a similar issue and ses Amazon has a few MOCA to Ethernet converters that seem highly rates.  The cheapest is $59.  Is this an acceptable solution if I dont want to deal with a new ONT box but yet want to purchase my own wireless router and connect via ethernet? Thanks

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is still highly recommended to connect via ethernet from the ONT whenever possible (including drilling holes on the wall and fishing new ethernet cables.)

What's the rated speed of your connection? If it is less than 200Mbps, you just need to buy an older model of the MoCA (namely MoCA 1.1) to Ethernet converter. If you have a higher speed or considering upgrading the subscription in the future, you just need a MoCA Bonded 2.0 to ethernet. MoCA 2.5 will not worth the money because Verizon does not offer 2.5Gbps to Home users.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Running the cable shouldn't need much more than a drill, some sealing putty/caulk, and some zip ties. Just follow the existing lines to where your Router is. That's your easiest path. You might also need CAT5e cable rated for outdoor installation, ends/jacks, and some termination tools. All of this can be found at the local hardware store if a friend doesn't have them.

I would avoid the MoCA adapter solution unless absolutely needed. 

The ONT's Ethernet port will be located inside of the "Customer Access" portion. Open it up, and you'll see it typically facing downwards.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks all.  My speed test is showing 500Mbps up and down with a 1G service.  How do I open the ONT, I unscrewed the where it said “customer access” but still locked.  Do I also need to open the hex screw at bottom of box?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The door may be sticking, just give it a nice firm tug from the right tab. Look for a plastic clip on the side in case that also needs to be disengaged. Some of the Arris ONTs have them. The hex screw is to access the Fiber Terminal and for removing the ONT.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

I guess it would be ok for hardwired devices since it's 10/100 router, but it's wireless B. You are only going to get 11 mbps max on wifi. 

The BEF lineup is limited to about 38Mbps WAN to LAN. The router is very old and is probably worth sending off to eWaste at this point.