Re: No Ethernet Port on my ONT
epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your tip to open box and I just noticed something very interesting I would like some comments on.  It appears that maybe my box does not need to be upgraded unless you all feel I have a very old ONT box.  You will see in photos I have an Ethernet 5e cable after all that is connected to my router along with the coax.   I confirmed ethernet cable matches on ONT side and router WAN port. My questions are as follows:

1.  Is the coax connection to the router unnecessary and redundant if I have cat5e connected to the WAN port?

2. Does my ONT look like it needs an update or current enough for a 1G connection?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures need to be approved by a moderator.  Until we can see them, here are some answers.

Coax is required only if you subscribe to TV service.  If you don't have TV service, it can be disconnected.  Note that it won't harm anything if you leave it connected.

From your previous post, it sounds like you're subscribed to 1Gbps service.  If that's the case, then I know your ONT is capable of 1Gbps service.  Verizon won't sell you 1Gbps service unless the ONT is the right model.  If it is an old model, they upgrade it before they enable 1Gpbs.

Run the Verizon speed test at https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/.  It will test the speed to the router as well as to the device.  If the router speed test isn't close to what you've subscribed to, then you should contact Verizon for help.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. I was confused. It seems like you have the newest model of the ONT. We should ask you whether there is a wire connected to WAN port of the router, or whether the WAN Coax LED on the router is lit.

Now the answer depends on whether you have subscribed the TV service or not. If you do, make the STBs work with your own router is quite a hassle.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi - I did run speed tests and getting 500Mbs up and down.  Why does coax need to be connected to router if you have TV service? Doesn’t this just need to go to STBs or TVs?  I was thinking about a third party router upgrade but they do not have coax connection and unclear why coax would be needed if I have the Cat5e cable connected to my WAN port.  Thanks

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The STBs need both Linear TV signal (coax) from the ONT and the guide data (as well as activation signal) from the router (through MoCA ethernet). Taking any of these devices out of the equation will "decapacitate" the STBs.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok, so if I want to use a third party router for wi-fi speed improvements I need to keep coax plugged into current actiontec router and move the WAN ethernet connection along with LAN ethernet connections to the new router?  Perhaps I should move this conversation now to a new post as topic is changing.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. So you want to upgrade the WiFi speed. G1100 and presumably G3100 can achieve a speed over 400Mbps at 5GHz 802.11ac without obstacles. But this speed drastically decreases as you move further away from the access point due to the nature of 5GHz signal.

How fast are you trying to achieve with WiFi? 500Mbps? The computers should be linked with ethernet cables for best speeds. I only resort to WiFi for portable devices.

How big or complex is your house? If the current coverage and speed is very inadequate and slow, I would recommend some commercial meshed WiFi solutions if you have the budget at dispense.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi - Small home about 2000 sq. ft total on 3 floors.  The router sits on middle floor. Lots of wi-fi devices in home and yes computer is hardwired to switch.   I currently have the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I. think I may have outgrown in.  Especially now with two kids in school at home and myself working plus lots of mobile devices.  I could consider both of those those you mentioned as I would assume with my current router I would notice a big difference with just about anything. The G3100 is intriguing but big $$.  Would love to see a deal on it.  I assume would be a huge difference for me

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@epie wrote:

I currently have the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I. 

Ok. The router you currently have closes the doors to lots of upgrading options. This router's WiFi only support up to 802.11n (so called "WiFi 4") and it only has MoCA 1.1. The WiFi speed is limited to 130Mbps ish on average, and MoCA 1.1 transmission speed is capped around 175Mbps.

MoCA 1.1 closes the doors to most Verizon extenders.

WCB6200Q ($120) can deliver 500Mbps on 802.11ac WiFi, but MoCA 1.1 of the router bottlenecks this speed to 175Mbps. You can uplink WCB6200Q with an ethernet cable to overcome the bottleneck.

E3200 ($200) theoretically delivers a better speed than WCB6200Q, but it is not advisable because of price and the same bottleneck.

WCB3000N ($25) can deliver 175 Mbps on 802.11n, but it is a duplication of your router's access point, so it is not advisable in the run long, unless you buy a bunch of them and can stand the speed limitation.

How about third party wireless access points?

I would recommend some commercial-grade standalone wireless access points for scalability, flexibility, and quality. You can look into Aruba Networks Instant On AP11 WiFi Access Point (~$95), it requires an ethernet connection though (and PoE or local power adapter). If you purchase two of them, they can create a meshed network with seamless connectivity. It supports up to 802.11ac (so called "WiFi 5") around 500Mbps just like the WCB6200Q.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  In your opinion it is a better investment in two AP11s for about $190 as opposed to just a new Verizon GS3100 for about $100 more? What are your thoughts on this approach?

0 Likes