Re: No Ethernet Port on my ONT
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, look, you have the old Actiontec Router that is still functioning, at least for routing (I mean Network Address Translation) and switching (supporting 4 gigabit ethernet ports), and TV guiding as well if you happen to have Verizon STBs. You only want to upgrade the wireless function of the router. Logically, you want to buy standalone access points to upgrade specifically the WiFi. In case one function of the router dies one day, you need to replace the entire router. This is the reason why I dislike combos. A common "router" is not just a router. It is always a 4-port switch, an access point, a MoCA modem, and et cetera, et cetera.

I think adding two AP11 is a better idea than replacing with a G3100, not for the sake of performance or price, but most importantly flexibility. Aruba Networks is actually a division of HP Enterprise, so its quality should be high. Here is a price update also, if you have PoE switch installed, you can purchase AP11 only without power adapters for $79.99 on B&H Photos. Or if you have power adapters at home that is compatible with the AP11, which I have not check the specifications yet, you can save $15 on each too.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  No POE here so will need to have receptacle. With that said, I would need to connect one AP to router LAN port and then disconnect the wi-fi from Actiontec?  Second unit placed on a different floor of my choice correct?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is recommended that you uplink both APs to LAN ports of the router for the best performance. No AP is necessary to be placed beside the router, unless that's where has the highest WiFi demand and running an ethernet cable to a different place of your house is infeasible.

Forget to ask your house's data wiring? Do you have either coax or ethernet jacks on every floor or every room? Or you have either of them?

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

coax on every floor but not ethernet cabling

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's quite a problem. Can you go to your basement wire termination place and closely examine the wiring? Some construction contractors would pull ethernet cables for phone lines. If you are not using landline, they can be used as ethernet network.

If you only have coax, then that's quite a problem. Buying Verizon's equipment is expensive and you need to bypass the router's coax port. Is there any way you can pull an ethernet cable to a different floor by yourself?

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have landline phone connections all over the house and not sure I am understanding where the major issues are.  I am just looking to improve my wi-fi in general around the house, everything in general works ok.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need ethernet cable at where you would like to place your second AP11. Sometimes a house's telephone line is carried by a CAT 5e cable. If you have a spare telephone line that is not using, you can reterminate it to a RJ45 connector.

From my understanding, there is coax outlets around the house, where is their terminal? In the basement? I saw only one CAT 5e wire connected to the POT of the ONT and you mentioned you have landline phone connections all over the house, so where is their splitter? For one cable to reach several outlets, it needs a splitter. Can you take a picture of the splitter?

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

My house was built in 1979, all RJ45 for telephone lines.  My coax splitter is is a 3 in and 2 out and then other splitters follow.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using all the telephone outlets? How many wires are connected behind the wall for a telephone outlet? Pictures could help me.

Are the telephone outlets connected in a parallel fashion or they are all terminated at a location in the house? Again, pictures could help me understand your setup.

epie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here you go

0 Likes