No Internet during power outage - Isn't the battery in the NTU supposed to keep the circuit up?
Vuser3
Enthusiast - Level 2

During yesterday's power outage in Northern Virginia I lost all Internet connectivity; yet my NTU battery was up but my Verizon router was saying the cable wan was down.  Why?

Isn't the NTU battery supposed to keep the circuit up in case of power failure?  if is not, why did I spend $30 replacing it when it failed since Verizon is too cheap to replace it, even though we all pay them those outragous bills every month. 

Why, Why, Why

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No Internet during power outage - Isn't the battery in the NTU supposed to keep the circuit up?
Justin46
Legend

@Vuser wrote:

During yesterday's power outage in Northern Virginia I lost all Internet connectivity; yet my NTU battery was up but my Verizon router was saying the cable wan was down.  Why?

Isn't the NTU battery supposed to keep the circuit up in case of power failure?  if is not, why did I spend $30 replacing it when it failed since Verizon is too cheap to replace it, even though we all pay them those outragous bills every month. 

Why, Why, Why

No, only the phone circuit, for up to 8 hours, if you have phone service. Although my experience is that the battery does power the internet and TV service for a short time to cover a brief power outage.

As to why you paid $30 to replace the battery, I have no idea, you can generally get batteries locally or from Amazon, etc. for $15 to $20. And it is very clearly stated that the battery is your responsibility, you should have already known that.

If you feel FiOS too expensive, why do you have it? 

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

View solution in original post

Re: No Internet during power outage - Isn't the battery in the NTU supposed to keep the circuit up?
Justin46
Legend

@Vuser wrote:

Why, Why, Why

No, only the phone circuit, for up to 8 hours, if you have phone service. Although my experience is that the battery does power the internet and TV service for a short time to cover a brief power outage.

As to why you paid $30 to replace the battery, I have no idea, you can generally get batteries locally or from Amazon, etc. for $15 to $20. And it is very clearly stated that the battery is your responsibility, you should have already known that.

If you feel FiOS too expensive, why do you have it? 

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can ask Verizon to re-program the ONT to keep Internet up instead of Phone or TV if that is all you need up. You will need to convince someone who knows how to do this to perform this task.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon actually won't do it for you,  you can do it yourself, but it involves re routing some jumpers on the bbu, so it's not terribly hard but if you aren't comfortable doing it then you may want to just get a Generator

How to use Verizon FIOS Battery Backup for Internet ...

Vuser3
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you for informative response; apperently the Verizon tech responding on this forum are so smug that they don't care if we switch to comcast or somebody else; which I'm going to do.

0 Likes
Vuser3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Being a smug smart **bleep** is what brings down companies and empires.  All you had to do is point out the NTU battery solution and it would have been the end of the story but no you had to be smug about it, we are the only one's with fiber so switch.  Well I'm going to swtich just for this response.  Comcast has its problems but atl east customer is customer service not the crap we get from Verizon.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Vuser wrote:

Being a smug smart **bleep** is what brings down companies and empires.  All you had to do is point out the NTU battery solution and it would have been the end of the story but no you had to be smug about it, we are the only one's with fiber so switch.  Well I'm going to swtich just for this response.  Comcast has its problems but atl east customer is customer service not the crap we get from Verizon.

I think you're misunderstanding that this is a peer-to-peer forum.  Verizon techs don't provide answers here.

If you want tech support you need to contact Verizon directly.

Or....if your mind's made up you can vote with your wallet and switch to Comcast.  Competition is a good thing.Smiley Wink 

arcman1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for posting the info stating the smug reply was not a verizon tech.

Would not be supprised if he was a comcast rep

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes