non-Verizon e-mail account
SteveH
Does anyone know if I can keep my non-Verizon e-mail accounts when I get a FIOS connection?  The reason I ask is I previously had a Verizon DSL account and I could not use my e-mail account with a seperate ISP.  Is this scenario possible with a FIOS Internet account?
0 Likes
Re: non-Verizon e-mail account
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Yes you can use other e-mail addresses with fios. I have Verizon DSL and I have a AOL, MSN, Yahoo and Verizon e-mail addresses and all of them work fine.
0 Likes
SteveH
I understand that you can send and receive mail with your online Internet e-mail accounts but I run a virtual Exchange Server in my own domain with outgoing & incoming ports open. Won't Verizon block these ports as suspected spam when I use Outlook to send and receive mail? 
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The Verizon TOS on residential accounts state you can't run a server and the ports will probably be blocked. You would have to sign up for a business account.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@SteveH wrote:
I understand that you can send and receive mail with your online Internet e-mail accounts but I run a virtual Exchange Server in my own domain with outgoing & incoming ports open. Won't Verizon block these ports as suspected spam when I use Outlook to send and receive mail? 

On residential accounts Verizon blocks port 25 on all but their SMTP server, on the Verizon network. You would need to route your mail through outgoing.verizon.net. It is the only way to send residential outbound mail, unless you use a webmail account. I have been using Outlook Connector with MAPI connecting to my msn account, but suspect it would work with other web based email accounts.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

On residential accounts Verizon blocks port 25 on all but their SMTP server, on the Verizon network. You would need to route your mail through outgoing.verizon.net. It is the only way to send residential outbound mail, unless you use a webmail account. I have been using Outlook Connector with MAPI connecting to my msn account, but suspect it would work with other web based email accounts.

I have seen this stated many times, but I have had no trouble sending emails using an sbcgobal server for the last two years while using my FiOS connection. I have AT&T DSL service at a lake house and I have that account defined in my Outlook Express with the SMTP server specified as smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com, using Port 25. I don't use that account for sending very often when I am on FiOS, but I just did another test and and the email went just fine (I sent it to one of my Verizon email accounts and received it just fine, and looking at the source of the email it clearly shows it came from the AT&T server). I also do the reverse, send from my FiOS email account using OE while connected via AT&T (I did have trouble in the beginning because they were blocking Port 25, but a short phone call to their tech support fixed that problem).

I don't know whether Verizon only blocks port 25 in certain areas of the country, or perhaps have removed the block completely, but it most certainly works ok for me.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Justin wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

I have seen this stated many times, but I have had no trouble sending emails using an sbcgobal server for the last two years while using my FiOS connection. I have AT&T DSL service at a lake house and I have that account defined in my Outlook Express with the SMTP server specified as smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com, using Port 25. I don't use that account for sending very often when I am on FiOS, but I just did another test and and the email went just fine (I sent it to one of my Verizon email accounts and received it just fine, and looking at the source of the email it clearly shows it came from the AT&T server). I also do the reverse, send from my FiOS email account using OE while connected via AT&T (I did have trouble in the beginning because they were blocking Port 25, but a short phone call to their tech support fixed that problem).

I don't know whether Verizon only blocks port 25 in certain areas of the country, or perhaps have removed the block completely, but it most certainly works ok for me.

Keller, TX 76248

Cool. I'll have to try it.

0 Likes
sanan77
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good Afternoon,

I would like a little more info, the email you currently have with your ISP (Non Verizon)  do you use Outlook to sent your email out, 

If you are using Outlook or some other mail client like it, that using the standard email ports to sent email that  is going to be looking for Verizon info before passing the email out, so you will have configur your verizon user name and password on the outgoing server. 

Verizon outbound server also require authentication..

Server info for out   outgoing.verizon.net

And of coarse if you access you third party email via web it will work just fine on Fios I personally have msn

Hope this helps

Sanan

0 Likes