not getting download speeds I should get on a mac
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

using a mac. ran the apple broadband enhancer program.

I should be getting 50mbps. but I'm getting half that, 25. why?

I'm 50 feet from the wireless router.

channel is set to automatic. should I trying changing to a specific channel?   a few times download speed has been over 50mbps... but it seems to be much lower most of the time. upload speeds are fine. download is mostly 1/2 of the 50mbps they say I should be getting.

any ideas appreciated. thanks.

0 Likes
Re: not getting download speeds I should get on a mac
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@macgig wrote:

using a mac. ran the apple broadband enhancer program.

I should be getting 50mbps. but I'm getting half that, 25. why?

I'm 50 feet from the wireless router.

channel is set to automatic. should I trying changing to a specific channel?   a few times download speed has been over 50mbps... but it seems to be much lower most of the time. upload speeds are fine. download is mostly 1/2 of the 50mbps they say I should be getting.

any ideas appreciated. thanks.

Because you're using wireless and probably wireless G at that.

Connect it via an ethernet cable and if you still only get 25 then ask Verizon - they only guarantee wired speeds, for wireless it's your problem unless the wireless side completely fails.

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

looks like Im using 802.11n.

0 Likes
Bolmtasni
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried opening a web browser and typing in the router's address followed by going to Wireless Settings>  Advanced Security Settings:

Level 3: Limit access to certian wireless devices

Wireless MAC (Media Access Control) Authentication

802.11b/g/n Mode <---click this

In the drop down box select Performence Mode (802.11n) click apply

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Fifty percent of your wired Internet speed using Wifi on the 2.4Mhz band is about par for the course.

Run inSSIDer and see which of the  router radio channels 1, 6 or 11 are least busy in your neighborhood and try each in turn to see if there is any improvement and by doing  that and perhaps a few other tweaks getting to 30 will be really good.

If your MAC has a 5 Ghz capable WiFi adapter consider hanging a 5 Ghz AP off your Actiontec router and perhaps if you are in the same room you will get to 40 Mbps.

WiFi is for convience and will never be the fastest connection.

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

looks like I get better speeds at night than during the day. I'll check out the other tips you mentoned. thanks.

right now my speed during the last test was:

46.78mbps down

38.59 up.

which is pretty nice. so it looks like everything may be working as it should. thanks again.

0 Likes
macgig
Contributor - Level 1

last night my speed was 48mbps download. this morning the download is 19.35. .

interesting how my download speed can be 49mbps at night, then the next morning its 19mpbs.

My router is in the utility room an the washer and dryer are on. could they be interferring with it's speed?

seems like the upload speed is almost always fast where the download speed varies a lot.

0 Likes