Not getting the download speeds as laid by the plan
Addy1

Hi folks,

I have been using FIOS for little over 8 years now. For 6 of those years, I enjoyed the blazing fast service (and nice customer service) and www.speedtest.net would confirm that my download and upload speeds matched the plan.

Since mid-2013, however, I have been noticing degraded download speeds. I have speedtest results for the last 5 years and it is easily noticeable that the download speeds have worsened. Here is some data:

2010 - Plan 15/5 - Avg. download: 15 mbps, Avg. upload: 5 mbps

2011 - Plan 15/5 - Avg. download: 15 mbps, Avg. upload: 5 mbps

2012 - Plan 25/15 - Avg. download: 27 mbps, Avg. upload: 15mbps

2013 - Plan 25/15 - Avg. download: 19 mbps, Avg. upload: 15 mbps

2014 (so far) - Plan 25/15 - Avg. download: 10 mbps, Avg. upload: 20 mbps

Since 2011, my conditions have not changed at all. Same computer (no new software installed since then), same cabling, and same usage patterns. I have restarted the router and the main box several times without luck. BTW, I have stopped using Netflix almost 4 years ago.

Is anyone noticing the same? If yes, how are you guys fixing the problem?

Thanks in advance

Addy

0 Likes
Re: Not getting the download speeds as laid by the plan
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Posts reporting a problem similar to yours seem rare where the poster is using a wired, vs. WiFi, connection.

Have you tried a different speedtest.net server?  If so, and you get the same results, do you have another PC or Mac that you can connect via Ethernet to run the same test(s)?  Maybe a borrowed laptop or MacBook?

Although you said you haven't installed any new software, I assume you're doing periodic updates and one of those could be causing the problem with your PC.

The only other suggestion I can make is call Verizon tech support.  Tell them you're not getting the speeds your plan should deliver and see what they suggest.   They may check the provisioning of your ONT, and if that's no help, they may send a tech out to troubleshoot the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Not getting the download speeds as laid by the plan
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well I would do one last test if you could.

Get hardwired ethernet to router (any of the lan ports will work)

Go to Verizon Speed Test and test there with the closest server post the results here..

Also go access the Verizon Online -- Network Diagnostic Test and run it, copy and paste the results here.

And if possible you can run a traceroute to the destination you have the most trouble with, and copy and paste that result here.

If you're ONLY wireless, then you'll want to download the In Home Agent and run the wireless signal check and fix utility built inside of it. 

0 Likes