Not gigabit speeds
DarkManX4lf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got Verizon FiOS gigabit installed and with a wired connection to the FiOS router or to a router of my own that is connected to the FiOS router (Asus rt5200) I get a max speed of 850/850....both my own router and NIC supports gigabit speeds....so what am I missing here?

Shouldn't I be paying 15% less lol.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not gigabit speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the CPU usage of your router (at the main page of the router's Web UI) to make sure one of the CPU cores isn't maxing out while you're speed testing. The routing software on ASUS routers can only operate on a single CPU Core. As such hardware acceleration is required.

On some older ASUS Routers, not sure about the new ones, enabling IPv6 or using Adaptive QoS also causes the router to drop from Level 2 Hardware Acceleration to Level 1 Hardware Acceleration. That means the Broadcom Flow Accelerator is disabled and only Cut-Through Forwarding is enabled.

ASUSWRT-Merlin's firmware for the ASUS Routers will provide some better insight as well, as to whether the problem is the router or if it's some other factor.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you testing to speedtest.verizon.net or other Verizon speedtest server?

And they typically advertise as up to.

Plus others have commented that overhead can take a bite out of the bandwidth as well.

DarkManX4lf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried verizon.speedtest.net and speedtest.net and both give me around 870mbits/s down now. However still slower than gigabit. (See images)

imageverizon.speedtest.netimagespeedtest.net

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@DarkManX4lf wrote:

I have tried verizon.speedtest.net and speedtest.net and both give me around 870mbits/s down now. However still slower than gigabit. (See images)

imageverizon.speedtest.netimagespeedtest.net

The other poster beat me to the reply. Verizon's lingo states "up to" it does not guarantee 1024/1024 in fact I read something like 940/880 in which case you are fine. 

You will never get the highest speeds because of numerous factors outside of Fios control. 

0 Likes
mrsouders

I get up /down in the 900's at the router but not at the pc.  No one has been able to figure it out and have gone through multiple techs.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you testing via a wired connection?

Have you checked drivers for network card to make sure they are up to date?

jonjones1
Legend

@mrsouders wrote:

I get up /down in the 900's at the router but not at the pc.  No one has been able to figure it out and have gone through multiple techs.

The type of machine like laptop, desktop or tablet or phone etc. operate on radio and with network cards/chips. The speed of the device determines how fast it operates.

no device is going to be the same for each user. Depends on the operating systems, the added devices like optical drives, hard drives, type of ram installed etc.

no need to worry. Additionally a speed test outside of Verizon's network will be much slower due to bottleneck and incompletes to certain paths on the net. Verizon does not control where you go.

0 Likes
mrsouders

Running Win 10, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Intel Processor, Gigabit NIC.  PC is only a little over 2 years old.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mrsouders wrote:

Running Win 10, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Intel Processor, Gigabit NIC.  PC is only a little over 2 years old.

As I said in my last reply the speed is not guaranteed. The Verizon stance is "up to"

and that is the way the company should advertise it.

the device you are using although adequate for your needs still is just going to run speed wise under perfect conditions. No obstructions or interference from other things in your household.

the speed of the device to your router is not the same as the speed obtained from Fios to your router. When you use any device the end result is crap shoot.

years ago I had 15/1 from Time Warner and using 20+ devices in our home we always had speed good enough for our needs. So I would not worry too much about it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the CPU usage of your router (at the main page of the router's Web UI) to make sure one of the CPU cores isn't maxing out while you're speed testing. The routing software on ASUS routers can only operate on a single CPU Core. As such hardware acceleration is required.

On some older ASUS Routers, not sure about the new ones, enabling IPv6 or using Adaptive QoS also causes the router to drop from Level 2 Hardware Acceleration to Level 1 Hardware Acceleration. That means the Broadcom Flow Accelerator is disabled and only Cut-Through Forwarding is enabled.

ASUSWRT-Merlin's firmware for the ASUS Routers will provide some better insight as well, as to whether the problem is the router or if it's some other factor.