Odd speed resaults
BigChungi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having some odd internet issues since upgrading to 1 gbps up/down. I am using a gigabit ethernet to usb c adapter connected to my laptop. 90% of the time I get 10 mbps on everything: steam downloads, file transfers, streaming, etc. However things get odd when i start running speed tests. The google speed test says 60/60, the ookla speed test says 100/100, spectrum speed test says 300/300, AT&T says 300 and the built in verizon one says 1000 mbps.  But in real use I only get 10 mbps max. While troubleshooting have tried 4 diffrent usb c adapters, 3 diffrent computers, 3 diffrent ethernet cables, gigabit switch connected and disconected. I have also tried tones of driver updates and repairs. If i connect two computers to the switch and send a file over I get full gigabit transfer every time so I dont think its any of that. The 10gigabit ethernet cable going from the router to the switch has been tested and is working fine. Also after about 10 minutes of the ethernet cable being connected everything locks down to 10 mbps on all speed tests, on all computers. the only way I can restore it is by going to the router and un plugging and re plugging the ethernet cable which gives me another 10 minutes of somewhat good speed tests. Everything that happens is inconsistent which makes it very hard to fix. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Odd speed resaults
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since it sounds like you've done troubleshooting on the hardware already, let's treat this like a software problem. Some things you'll want to try on your computer:

1: Do you have a piece of software called "AMD Quick Stream" installed? You can open your computer's Settings or Control Panel to find this. This program will be installed likely if you have an older AMD powered laptop that came with Windows 7 or Windows 8. Remove this program if you see it installed.

2: Try running TCP Optimizer on your computer while the Ethernet Adapter is connected. You can download a copy of it from here: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php . Run TCPOptimizer as Administrator (Right Click > Run as Administrator). Then, click on the "Optimal" Radio button at the bottom of the tool, and slide the slider at the top of the window to 100+Mbps. Click the button to save settings, and accept any prompts given by the tool. Then reboot the computer.

3: What Anti-Virus program are you using? Programs that have Network Scanners or Web Scanners will often have a negative impact on your throughput especially on computers with slower processors. Try disabling just the network/web scanning component to see if speeds improve.

View solution in original post

JesterRace
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need it will sound silly, but maybe it's more a software issue more than a hardware one...

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, make sure all your Ethernet cables and connectors are in good shape.  Fall back to 10mbps could happen if a cable or connector is bad.  For the rest of this, be sure to use known good cables.

Next, try plugging one of your computers directly into the the router and see how it behaves.  Unplug all other devices, wired and WiFi.  If it works fine, then you know something else in your network is contributing to the problem.  It could be a cable, switch or even a mis-behaving device.  Plug them back in one at a time to identify the culprit.

If the lone computer plugged into the router still demostrates the problem, next unplug the router from the ONT and plug the computer directly into the ONT.  If that works, you might need a new router or a new cable between the ONT and router.  If it still has the issue, contact Verizon support.  Again, be sure you've a good cable.

Good Luck.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since it sounds like you've done troubleshooting on the hardware already, let's treat this like a software problem. Some things you'll want to try on your computer:

1: Do you have a piece of software called "AMD Quick Stream" installed? You can open your computer's Settings or Control Panel to find this. This program will be installed likely if you have an older AMD powered laptop that came with Windows 7 or Windows 8. Remove this program if you see it installed.

2: Try running TCP Optimizer on your computer while the Ethernet Adapter is connected. You can download a copy of it from here: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php . Run TCPOptimizer as Administrator (Right Click > Run as Administrator). Then, click on the "Optimal" Radio button at the bottom of the tool, and slide the slider at the top of the window to 100+Mbps. Click the button to save settings, and accept any prompts given by the tool. Then reboot the computer.

3: What Anti-Virus program are you using? Programs that have Network Scanners or Web Scanners will often have a negative impact on your throughput especially on computers with slower processors. Try disabling just the network/web scanning component to see if speeds improve.