On-line Back-up and Sharing Portal
Lante
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got FIos and downloaded the free trial of Security Suite including the On-line Back up and Ffile sharing. 

It was simple to set up the back up schedule etc., however I can't seem to find a simple way to sign in to the on-line portal to getto my on-line back up and sharing files. For some reason I can't bookmark the location and getting to it from Verizon sign onpage is almost impossible. If I click on "Manage Broad Band Essesntials" it simply brings me to a screen that shows me thebilling information for the program and has a download button for the Suite, Back up and Sharing.  If I click Back up and Sharing itbrings me to the "shopping screen" and just shows me the various bundles and options I can purchase.

The only way I can get there is by clicking on "edit sub accounts" I have no idea why that works-I found that out after about an hourof trying to access my on line files-but that's the thing--it doesn't always work.

Isn't there a way I can ,make a short cut for it on my desktop or bookmark it somehow. It's kind of useless if it takes me all day to get to it. Also--for some reason I can't set up my home page either. I'd like to be able to just click on it from there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks you.

0 Likes
Re: On-line Back-up and Sharing Portal
Hubrisnxs
Legend

no good shortcuts that I have found unfortunately that I know of.

what you may want to try to do is modify how you get there.  this may get you there with less mouse clicks.  so bookmark main part of the back up and sharing site,  and then only go to that booknark AFTER you have logged in.  so it adds a step, but that may get you there.  I find that most of my bookmarks won't redirect me to the main part of the site, once i have logged in.

0 Likes
Lante
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. I ended up deleting my trial account. I got so frustrated with it!

I will probably end up downloading it again--but last night it wouldn't let me on to the system and when it finally did, it would not let me upload files or even drop and drag files to the "Manage Files" portion. I could click on the upload files button, choose a file from my computer to upload, but then the actual button to load the files never changed from the "gray" color and would not activate. So it was useless. I have JAVA and all the bells and whistles. I did it over and over and nothing worked...so I tried to drop and drag them--the drop and drag link was also dead. When I clicked on the tab--it just opened another picture of the icon in another box.

Have you had any success in the "Manage My Files" portion?? I  don't think I've ever been that frustrated in my life!!!

I am really sold on the online back up portal idea. Other back up services don't actually allow you to manage the files--but apparently either does Verizon--it looks great on paper, but is useless.

I tried contacting tech help. What a joke! I couldn't understand them when they spoke-they couldn't understand me. All they did was log on to my computer and try to show me the downloading steps. Useless! They don't know the program.

I want to try it one last time. Obliviously I'm a glutton for punishment! But, I need to  be able to view my files away from home and apparently this is it for programs that "allow" that action.

Any suggestions on how to use the "Manage My Files" portion??

Lante
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgot to add this by the way, it won't let me go to the book marked site after I've logged on. It just keeps redirecting me back to my crappy "My Verizon" page.  So aggrevating!!!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I never have trusted any backup and sharing service. Remember a DVD can save many files but also prevent access remotely. But if any of the files you store or share are someone elses copywritten work, will that be wrong? Has anyone ever thought of this. Perhaps I should read up on the subject, and there may be a policy. If you are only storing your personal pictures or files it should be perfect.

Lante
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure what you would be saving when you're talking about copy written work--but I'm only saving my own documents and pictures. I'll be saving my itunes library--but that belongs to me already--I bought it! 🙂

I had a computer crash last month. I thought I had everything saved and backed up--I was wrong. I don't want to go through that nonsenes again.I also don't want to have to worry about all of my document scans etc being burned in a fire or lost in a flood--god forbid--I know you're supposed to keep all of that stuff elsewhere, but who has that kind of time?

Anyway--the 986th time must have been the charm. I downloaded the back up and sharing software again..and...it's working!! A personal victory. I don't give up witout a fight, that's for sure:)

prisaz
Legend

@Lante wrote:

I'm not sure what you would be saving when you're talking about copy written work--but I'm only saving my own documents and pictures. I'll be saving my itunes library--but that belongs to me already--I bought it! 🙂

I had a computer crash last month. I thought I had everything saved and backed up--I was wrong. I don't want to go through that nonsenes again.I also don't want to have to worry about all of my document scans etc being burned in a fire or lost in a flood--god forbid--I know you're supposed to keep all of that stuff elsewhere, but who has that kind of time?

Anyway--the 986th time must have been the charm. I downloaded the back up and sharing software again..and...it's working!! A personal victory. I don't give up witout a fight, that's for sure:)

Kudos to you for pointing this out. I agree with you in that respect. I back up important files to DVD and then keep a copy off site. Tax records etc. I don't like the idea of having those in someone else's possession.  Rather a pain and not the most convenient. I guess what I was saying is even if you have paid for something I still worry about sticking it on someone else's back up and sharing site. Yes I too have paid for Itunes, but if I put them on a sharing site does that violate the copywrite. That was the question and concern.

Perhaps I should have kept my opinions to myself. To each their own.