Ongoing outages that require ONT Reboot to fix
ntsecrets

Hi - I've been having trouble with my Fios 1 Gig internet service since March.  Basically, the internet dies on it randomly - usually once a week and the only fix is to power cycle the ONT.  

I've tried 3 different routers, same issue including the Verizon supplied one (goes to yellow circle)

Verizon has been to my house 6 times now, replaced all of the wiring, 2 new ONTs, 1 or two new power supplies (and I have plugged it into different power outlets), they changed the fiber I was on to the hub, the shelf I was on at the CO and the PON channel within the CO, and it still happens.  No visual indication on the ONT that there is a problem when this happens, live TV keeps working. 

I am occasionally able to reboot the ONT using the Fios app, so its still receiving. 

I've resorted to actually getting another ISP to fail over to now - so I have just the G3100 hooked up along with the STB to it, and I am going to wait for it to fail again so they can come to the house and see it failed.  I work from home so I can't be without internet for days. 

I will note today that I made an interesting observation, it seems to only be IPV4 - IPV6 kept working, even when I put their router in place while it was broken - the G3100 got an ipv6 address/prefix but no IPV4 lease for 20 min.  Usually I'm able to switch between devices with no problem (not having to restart the ont).  Restarting the ont did fix the IPV4 access of course.  

Verizon's chat support is not built to handle this issue, they just roll a truck, but of course when the truck is here, everything is working so they can only guess at what the fix is.  So I've been in this loop of not getting it fixed but getting no answers out of Verizon.  I did contact their corporate office, I've been very patient yet even they have stopped communicating with me. 

Some on other forums have just blamed me, I must be doing something to break it!  But what? If I was, why would they send 6 techs out at their expense if I was doing something.  I don't do torrents or bitcoin or anything out of the ordinary. 

So if someone at Verizon could escalate this to someone within Verizon that actually knows how the system works, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Ongoing outages that require ONT Reboot to fix
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi ntsecrets,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
lightbulb1412

I've been having the exact same issue you're having, in the Boston area. My service was flawless for the first year and a half (2020-2021) and then started losing connectively about once every 1-2 weeks, usually overnight. Rebooting the ONT resolved it for the first 3-6 months, then it slowly started happening more frequently and in the last 2 months sometimes it gets stuck and no amount of rebooting works.

I worked in IT previously, and currently as a SRE so I have a pretty good handle on networking, trying to find a phone or truck tech who accepts what I'm telling them is frustrating, but I am seeing the same issue when it's stuck, no IPv4 issues to the gateway, whether it's a router or a single device directly connected to the ONT. One phone tech was able to run some utility that seemed to flush the DHCP lease which resolved it temporarily. I've also has success when it's stuck leaving the ONT off for about an hour, but when it's really stubborn the only thing that's worked is reconnecting the verizon issued router, let it get an IP, then swapping back to my router.

I have a strong suspicious there's a bug in the way their DHCP server is configured at whatever layer the ONT is getting leases, probably over provisioned or out of IPs in their subnet. No phone/truck tech will be able to fix the root cause, posting here so hopefully it get's more attention and they can create a ticket for their network engineers to investigate. 

I also work from home so I'm ordering a 2nd service as a backup, and potentially just switching as the unreliability is a deal breaker. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi lightbulb1412,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of this page. Response times may vary. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes