ONT Connection
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm looking at replacing a DSL circuit with FIOS Internet.  It will be the only connection.  There will be no phone or TV on this circuit.

My question is can the ONT ethernet port be plugged directly into a Cisco PIX 501 firewall or a Cisco ASA-5500 or even the new firewall that is coming out.

I'm wondering do I really need to get the Actiontec router to connect to the Internet or just use it for the wireless?

Thanks for letting me know.

Terry Palmer

Re: ONT Connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes you can plug it in directly to the cisco.  Don't bother talking to the customer service agent about any of this, it would be way over 99% of their heads.     just tell the tech when he gets out there that you want CAT 5 ethernet instead of moca coax.

Moca won't let you use that cisco upfront. 

accept the tech's actiontec router just in case you need it.

harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, then I could actually use the Actiontec as more ports and for wireless behind the firewall.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you wanted to, or found it useful to - yes absolutely. 

here are some sample configurations that you can take a look at when you get a moment.   Kind of get prepared for the day of.  Just remember they are advanced set ups and not supported over the phone or by technician at verizon, so you can do them at your own risk type of thing, and the only support you'll really have is from online users.  If your a DIY (Do it yourself) kinda guy, then these should work, 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

prisaz
Legend

I would say to let the Tech hook up the Verizon router to Ethernet, and make sure it all works properly with a 100% supported configuration. Just be sure it is Ethernet and not connected via coax. Now if you are getting only Internet access and no phone or TV it should be easy. If you have an issue with the connection later, you will need to put the Verizon supplied hardware up front for any type of support. So make sure it works.

After the tech leaves, you can do as you wish. This way there are no issues with support on the initial installation.

0 Likes