ONT: Ethernet port & DGL-4500 router
void_pointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello everyone,

Currently I have only FIOS Internet and do not have any plans to get TV service, so this will make the setup substantially more flexible.

Right now I have my ActionTec configured as a bridge and connected to a Coaxial cable. From the ActionTec, I connect to my DGL-4500. This is my main router. I've had to use the ActionTec as a bridge due to the coaxial cable.

I would prefer to ditch the ActionTec completely and connect my DGL-4500 directly to the ONT via that Ethernet Port. However, there's 2 problems: First, the ethernet port on the ONT has a bunch of clear goo in it, and it's extremely hard to get out. What the heck is this? Secondly, the light is competely turned off, even after plugging it into my router.

The light being off, according to my investigation, is deliberate. This is because you cannot have the MocA and the Ethernet enabled simultaneously. If this is true, I would have to get technical support to enable it remotely, right? I always hate having to call verizon, so if this can be avoided that would be ideal.

The first thing I want to know is if I would benefit by ditching the ActionTec as a bridge and connecting my DGL-4500 router directly. Is there any extra overhead? If the router does no processing and literally acts as a Layer 2 switch, then it shouldn't be too bad. However, I'm worried that it is processing traffic.

Secondly, how easy is it to get the ethernet port enabled? What would you guys recommend for my setup? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT: Ethernet port & DGL-4500 router
FiOSTechAL
Enthusiast - Level 3
Your issue is simple to resolve - You state you are not a video customer - therefore may use your own router - Via pm provide me with your contact information and I can re-provision your ckt to Ethernet.

View solution in original post

philhu
Contributor - Level 2

There are articles on verizon forums to do this.

Yes, you need them to activate the RJ-45 connection.

Go to: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect and register

There are 4 methods listed to do exactly what you want to do.

I currently have all 3 services (tv, phone,internet).  My own router/wireless is my main router.  The Actiontec is connected to a LAN port on it, and is currently acting as a MOCA router for the settop boxes.  THE STB units get guide data, VOD works etc.

Take a look

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I do not have FIOS, how about this...

#1 http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

#2 And OR

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Title/Location: All DSLR (.dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

^^^
0 Likes
void_pointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

@philhu,

Which specific threads in that forum that you linked do I need to look at? 

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2
The ones that dslr posted are the ones.  Smiley Happy
0 Likes
FiOSTechAL
Enthusiast - Level 3
Your issue is simple to resolve - You state you are not a video customer - therefore may use your own router - Via pm provide me with your contact information and I can re-provision your ckt to Ethernet.
void_pointer
Enthusiast - Level 2

@FiOSTechAL

The technician already came and left and everything is setup! Works great! Thanks for your help! 

0 Likes