ONT ethernet speed dropping to 10/10
AshishP
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I have enabled the Ethernet port on the ONT and for the last few days my speeds are dropping to 10/10 with the amber LED flashing. I tried 4 different routers. (Nighthawk, Verizon router, old linksys, netgear Orbi) The speeds go up to max every time I am with the customer support person they do something from their end. But in a couple of hours, it drops back to 10/10. The customer support person "refreshed the IP Address and rebooted the main Verizon box" (ONT). 

It is getting annoying as we have to work from home and the speeds drop. Does anyone have any tips on fixing this?

0 Likes
Re: ONT ethernet speed dropping to 10/10
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like you have a bad Ethernet cable or jack between the ONT and the router.  Observe the Ethernet link speed status on the router.  It is usually indicated via LEDs or somewhere in the router GUI.  If the link speed is 10Mbps when the problem occurs, that also points to a bad cable.

Try moving the router next to the ONT and using a known good Ethernet cable.

AshishP
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sounds good. I will give it a try.

0 Likes
AshishP
Enthusiast - Level 1

So till last night nothing went wrong. At 1:30 am, my internet goes down, and at 1:45 am, I get an email that my fios ticket is closed. Now my guess is, the customer support person put me on a fixed IP for the duration of the ticket, and the moment it closed, I lost the IP. I am going to try your solution today and see what happens. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

IP address has nothing to do with speed.

You really need to check the Ethernet link status.  If it's dropping to 10Mbps, that throttles everything else.  Check that, if it's at 10, then you know you have a cable or Ethernet port issue.

0 Likes