ONT only connected to one wire
jr44171

I have been a Fios customer for many years. For a few years I have been trying to het rid of the Fios router and hook straight into my wi fi router. The only thing I use the Verizon router for is to convert from coax to ethernet. I was looking at my set up and I have a couple questions. 

The ont (or what I was told is the ont) only has one cable running to it. The cable appears to come from outside and goes into the ont but I don’t see where anything comes out. Is that normal?  Are they running fiber into the house converting it and sending that back outside on the same cable?  The coax that carries the internet as far as I can tell comes directly from outside so is that box even used?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT only connected to one wire
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might be looking at the battery back up unit (BBU.)  It's an indoor box with two cables - a 48VD power cable from a power adapter and a low-voltage power cable that goes to the ONT.  Many people mistake it for the ONT, as it has a Verizon logo on it and some lights.  Pictures will help.

If it is the BBU, the ONT is most likely mounted outside.  If you can find it and figure out how to run Ethernet from it to your preferred router location, you'll then be able to use any router you like.  You'll need to contact Verizon to switch the ONT from MoCA (coax) WAN to Ethernet, but that's easy to do and doesn't cost anything.

You didn't mention if you have Verizon set-top-boxes.  If you do, you can't get rid of the Verizon router.  It's needed to provide data connectivity for the boxes.

Pictures and model numbers of your equipment will greatly help.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the sake of clarity, could a picture or two of the ONT be posted for us to look at? The ONT would have a fiber optic cable input. Outputs could include coaxial cable, Ethernet cable, telephone wiring, power feed and maybe a ground wire.

The ONT could be outside the house It would be a weatherproof enclosure with electronics inside, so include pictures of the inside device as well as any outside device.

Side note: Pictures submitted for posting go into a queue for a site moderator to check before they appear for everyone to see.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might be looking at the battery back up unit (BBU.)  It's an indoor box with two cables - a 48VD power cable from a power adapter and a low-voltage power cable that goes to the ONT.  Many people mistake it for the ONT, as it has a Verizon logo on it and some lights.  Pictures will help.

If it is the BBU, the ONT is most likely mounted outside.  If you can find it and figure out how to run Ethernet from it to your preferred router location, you'll then be able to use any router you like.  You'll need to contact Verizon to switch the ONT from MoCA (coax) WAN to Ethernet, but that's easy to do and doesn't cost anything.

You didn't mention if you have Verizon set-top-boxes.  If you do, you can't get rid of the Verizon router.  It's needed to provide data connectivity for the boxes.

Pictures and model numbers of your equipment will greatly help.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes