Ordered 15/5, getting 10/2. Gave up on customer support for today after two hours.
maxwelldb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been a FiOS customer for all of one day, and I'm already having problems.

I signed up for Prime HD Triple Play with internet at 15Mbps/5Mbps a few weeks ago. The tech to came to my apartment to install it yesterday morning, and got us up and running by early afternoon. I didn't run any speed tests or anything like that, but I was able to browse and stream video and all of that business swimmingly.

Logging into my account today, I noticed this line in the Internet service summary Verizon FiOS Speed: 10M/2M. I ran a speed test, and my bandwidth was reported to be just about that. This confused me, as the sales sheet carbon copy I have says that I ordered 15/5. 10M/2M isn't even on there. The order confirmation email, too, lists my bundle as Triple Play: Verizon: Freedom Essentials, FiOS Internet up to 15/5, FiOS TV Prime HD, 2011 NATIONAL. A line further down that I hadn't really noticed during the period between agreement and installation reads "Internet Speed: FTTP_10M_2M." Botched order code? Restriction on the apartment building that I wasn't informed of when I ordered? I don't know. The formatting was different enough from the other info I didn't really give it a second thought.

Today, I called customer service to get this straightened out. And then was transferred to tech support. And then customer service again. Then, tech support, followed by customer service once more, and then tech support a final time. No one on customer service could see that I had 10/2--they insisted that I had 15/5--while everyone I talked to on tech support told me that I was indeed provisioned 10/2 but that they could not touch my bundle: that was customer service's job. When I explained the back and forth to the final tech support person I spoke to, he told me that my best bet was to simply try back again tomorrow.

As far as I know, 10/2 isn't even an option for FiOS internet. It doesn't show up on the web site when I check out bundles, and it's not on the copy of the order form I had--just 15/5, 25/25, and 35/35.

And so here I am.

Has anyone had issues similar to this? Was I sold a service that isn't actually available in my building? Did the salesperson simply enter the wrong code on the order form? Anyone? Help!

0 Likes
Re: Ordered 15/5, getting 10/2. Gave up on customer support for today after two hours.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're in an apartment, 10/2 service actually does exist, but otherwise if you're in a Single Family Home and you have your own ONT, they definitely botched the order up somewhere. 10/2 is an OLD package that was phased out a few years ago.

Try talking to the Fiber Solutions Center. Maybe they'll help you out a bit more. If not, give Billing a call in the Afternoon on Monday and ask them to fix the provisioning on the account.

Re: Ordered 15/5, getting 10/2. Gave up on customer support for today after two hours.
maxwelldb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, that's my next step.

I find it absolutely mind-boggling that I had to waste a good chunk of my Sunday because it is apparently impossible for Verizon's tech support and customer service people to see the same data and communicate about it.

I really hope it's not a technological limit, as A) I was sold on 15/5 and B) this apartment building is only two years old!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxwelldb wrote:

Yeah, that's my next step.

I really hope it's not a technological limit, as A) I was sold on 15/5 and B) this apartment building is only two years old!

In theory, an apartment could have full blown FiOS to every unit. It depends on what the management allowed Verizon to do. If they were only allowed to touch the phone wiring and coax cabling, and not run conduit and Fiber everywhere then you had to be stuck with a VDSL or a VDSL2 connection. VDSL can do more than 10/2. It's perfectly capable of running at or near 100Mbps on good copper but Verizon doesn't seem to push it that high at all. I wonder why. Perhaps reserve bandwidth for VOD for TV installs.

maxwelldb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, we have a VDSL modem in here. That should allow for 15/5 in a reasonably modern apartment building?

I doubt the landlord would've allowed all of that good stuff--we had a tech in this morning, too, trying to fix non-functional HD on demand programming. He couldn't find the appropriate splitter to help us out because the wiring was so inaccessible. Blech.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxwelldb wrote:

Yeah, we have a VDSL modem in here. That should allow for 15/5 in a reasonably modern apartment building?

I doubt the landlord would've allowed all of that good stuff--we had a tech in this morning, too, trying to fix non-functional HD on demand programming. He couldn't find the appropriate splitter to help us out because the wiring was so inaccessible. Blech.

Sure would! As long as the Apartment has CAT3 or CAT5 twisted pair cabling going to each apartment and the wiring wasn't done slopilly, you should be good to go. The distance between your modem and the MDU ONT should be almost nothing, hundreds of feet at the most, where VDSL and VDSL2 shouldn't have issues syncing at high speeds.

VDSL2 should have no issues running at or near 100Mbps/100Mbps. VDSL will run at about 52Mbps best case scenario, but even 20Mbps/5Mbps shouldn't be out of reach. 25Mbps/25Mbps however will not be doable, as the upload won't go that high on VDSL.

maxwelldb
Enthusiast - Level 2

In contact with the VerizonSupport twitter account, now. Apparently my 2-year old apartment building in a tech firm-heavy, densely populated Massachusetts suburb can't support anything above 10/2.

Not sure why I was not told this when ordering or at installation. Since I ordered through a rep going door to door, it would've been, uh, honest for her to say what is and what is not available. She specifically told me that I'd be getting 15/5. I'm also not sure why tech support couldn't tell me this yesterday. 

I'm sure paying for 15/5, though. The rep I'm talking to now says that that's alright, since it's actually "up to 15/5." I'm getting a maximum of  two-thirds of that at no discount. I feel ripped off. Thanks, VZ. Smiley Mad

At least I have a few weeks to cancel fee-free if Verizon can't do me right on this--unless I was misled on that, too.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Maxwelldb, 

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@maxwelldb wrote:

In contact with the VerizonSupport twitter account, now. Apparently my 2-year old apartment building in a tech firm-heavy, densely populated Massachusetts suburb can't support anything above 10/2.

Not sure why I was not told this when ordering or at installation. Since I ordered through a rep going door to door, it would've been, uh, honest for her to say what is and what is not available. She specifically told me that I'd be getting 15/5. I'm also not sure why tech support couldn't tell me this yesterday. 

I'm sure paying for 15/5, though. The rep I'm talking to now says that that's alright, since it's actually "up to 15/5." I'm getting a maximum of  two-thirds of that at no discount. I feel ripped off. Thanks, VZ. Smiley Mad

At least I have a few weeks to cancel fee-free if Verizon can't do me right on this--unless I was misled on that, too.

Ya know what makes all of this seem funny, is the fact that at work, for something I don't really pay for but is included as a part of my job, I get a 100Mbps Internet connectivity, which goes to 1Gbps if I wanted to go that high (and even higher if I get some really expensive stuff). Stuff is insane. I basically get 1Gbps, or I get 1Gbps. There's no up-to clause, as anything less than that would not be my company's fault. Now if it was my company's fault, then we've got problems which get fixed within an hour unless there's extenuating circumstances. If only I get such service at my home. That'd be incredible. You also want to know what's funny? This is in the middle of nowhere figuratively.

Good luck in getting your FiOS speed bumped up. You might have to go pretty high up in the chain to get someone to fix the speed.

0 Likes