outgoing.verizon.net intermittently slow
jschappet

I am having trouble sending email using outgoing.verizon.net, it is intermittently slow.

The send will hang when connecting to outgoing, if I cancel it, and try again it goes right through.

--Jimmy

0 Likes
Re: outgoing.verizon.net intermittently slow
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

I haven't seen/heard any other reports of slow response time from the Vz SMTP server.

You may want to disable any/all firewalls on your PC and turn off outgoing e-mail scanning.

0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

@kevinb wrote:

I haven't seen/heard any other reports of slow response time from the Vz SMTP server.

You may want to disable any/all firewalls on your PC and turn off outgoing e-mail scanning.

That's really not good advice, especially the part about disabling all firewalls on a PC.

kevinb --

Especially since this is a known issue.

I suggest you look at these two threads for a start:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=5226

and 

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=5362

And, even a cursory review of the first two pages of this board has more than enough information as to what's going on.

Knowledgeable complaints to Verizon may be part of the answer; AuthSMTP (or similar) is the other, although Verizon customers shouldn't have to resort to using thrid party outbound servers for email delivery that they already pay for.

Cheers!

Message Edited by EHSFIOS on 06-24-2009 12:39 PM
0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Hey **bleep**head ,

@EHSFIOS wrote:

That's really not good advice, especially the part about disabling all firewalls on a PC.

1) There's an active firewall on the router that the PC is sitting behind, so the user won't be 100% vulnerable.

2) Incoming connections require ports to be forwarded to that PC so no one can establish a connection unless they first get access to the router to set up the ports to be forwarded.

3) You're an **bleep**.

Especially since this is a known issue.

I suggest you look at these two threads for a start:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=5226

and 

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=5362

And, even a cursory review of the first two pages of this board has more than enough information as to what's going on.

Knowledgeable complaints to Verizon may be part of the answer; AuthSMTP (or similar) is the other, although Verizon customers shouldn't have to resort to using thrid party outbound servers for email delivery that they already pay for.

Cheers!

1) The "hot topic" e-mail issue everyone is talking about involves latency between when they send messages and when they arrive and vice versa.

This means the communication between Verizon's SMTP server and 3rd party SMTP servers is getting delayed.

2) The OP described a problem in which connecting and communicating with Verizon's SMTP server is delayed. This is completely different than the known e-mail latency issue as it involves communication between the OP's PC and Verizon's SMTP server.

So please **bleep** off.

Cheers!

Message Edited by kevinb on 06-24-2009 01:49 PM
Message Edited by kevinb on 06-24-2009 01:54 PM
0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
Let's all remember to keep our posts courteous, please.  Smiley Wink
0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

@KaLin wrote:
Let's all remember to keep our posts courteous, please.  Smiley Wink

KaLin --

Thank you.

I couldn't agree more -- and I'm glad that kevinb was nice enough to edit his posts, even though the message comes through loud and clear --  his demeanor clearly speaks to his advice given.

In any event, I just got off the phone with Kristin (in your escalated tech support who called me back based on a call I made earlier today to Mr. Seidenberg's office). Very, very helpful.

Including addressing the fact that the outgoing (and incoming) connections to the servers are also affected by the email controls you have in place.

In other words, that could be jschappet's (the OP) issue, it'sprobably solved, and I would still not recommend that she turn off her "disable any/all firewalls on your PC".

And I'm sure neither would you.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

The send will hang when connecting to outgoing, if I cancel it, and try again it goes right through.

This does describe an issue from pc to server and not the actual latency issue with emails getting on the network and being delivered.

0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

EHSFIOS --

Can I buy pot from you?

0 Likes