Overdue bill/internet speed
harrissix

Myself and a few other friends that have Verizon Fios Internet noticed slower internet speed/connections if bill is past due. I was wondering if this really happens or is it just my imagination. 

0 Likes
Re: Overdue bill/internet speed
jonjones1
Legend

I don’t believe Verizon can do it.

0 Likes
samanthalynn102

Wondering this too. My speed is typically 75/75 and right now less than 5/5 and suuuupppper slow. Bill is past due with a payment arrangement set up. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you running test to speedtest.Verizon.net?

Or one of the other sites?

Only valid test for access speed is to this site via a wired connection

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've not heard of them reducing Internet speeds just because a bill is past due. Typically they will call and e-mail informing people of a past due bill, and if payment isn't received, the service is suspended for a period of time, then disconnected entirely.

I *do* know that Verizon can reduce Internet speeds to a rediculous speed like 128kbps on FiOS, if someone receives too many Copyright Strikes. But that is so rarely enforced because most people don't torrent these days...

Weirdedz

If you haven't figured it out already they do this. I can confirm my internet had 100 ping and slow speed. With a payment arrangement. I made an immediate payment and cancelled the arrangement. Speedtest again. My speed shot right back up and ping back to 10ms

0 Likes
chargfox

I do not have Verizon, but wanted to say that many ISPs do this. I receive my bill via email. If I fail to retrieve my emails, it gets caught in spam, when I was out of work, and now this month when I paid online but the online payment system apparently didn't complete the process and I received an email that I was late…my speed has always immediately slowed to an extreme crawl. The moment I pay the bill, it's back to normal. Only this time, I got the email late Friday, and my provider is closed until Tuesday so my connection won't be fixed until then. What's illegal about this is that you still pay the full price for the speed you're supposed to be getting, when your payment should be reduced to match your reduced speed. But since they'll swear they didn't do anything, they won't discount for the reduced speed.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You can look at this two ways.

1) you didn’t pay so service is not available. What company will let non paying customers continue using their service? 

2) it is doubtful that your service was slowed because of non payment. The payment could have been made but not registered. Why would the company alienate the customer when they could go elsewhere? Not a good business practice.

Verizon bills in advance, so technically your not late until the second billing cycle.

so you are not being slowed down since you already paid for this cycle. See what I am saying.

if you feel this is occurring contact your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission via google for your state. File charges with them. These agencies regulates Verizon. They can and do contact them. They also can fine Verizon for any shenanigans and they will. So contact them.

0 Likes
JacquelineD

This is something that Verizon is doing. I was late paying because of Coronavirus and no job. My fios connections were as slow as dial-up - which stopped me from trying to make money to pay them. I had to borrow from a relative to pay it. Verizon is disgusting to do this. A few hours after paying, my wifi speed returned to normal. They have no conscience. I hate this company.

0 Likes
JacquelineD

They mislead customers -- publically stating that they will not late charge or cut off the service, but they do cripple the service - making it impossible to use. They do not have enough competition. They need to be broken up so that consumers have real alternatives outside of the other useless service - Spectrum. 

0 Likes