Own Router, FIOS Service - My Version
Tramtrist
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, folks...

I suspect this question has been asked a thousand times in various forms over the existence of these forums, but rather than sift through years of answers, I figured posting a new version with my specific situation would probably be more productive:

I've got Fios service (obviously), a Verizon router AND a TP-Link Archer router.

Just like many other Fios customers, I'd like to use my own router.

I am using the Verizon router for "MoCa adapter functionality." I initially tried an ActionTec MoCa adapter, but got unreliable results for video (couldn't stream live TV through the mobile app, couldn't initiate DVR recordings out of the home network, etc.). I figured having the first-party solution (the Verizon router) as the "adapter" would provide better results.

So, I have it all plugged in, and it's mostly working well - I get Internet, and TV shows are working fine.

However, there seem to be two issues:

1. When trying to stream certain content through my mobile device - such as the YES Network for Yankee games - the Fios TV app says "This channel can only be streamed from your Fios TV box when connected to your Fios Wi-Fi router." I can stream some channels through the app, but not all.

2. The VID light on the ONT is red. I'm assuming this relates, in some way, to the partial functionality of the Fios TV app, in this case.

I've followed some forum advice about restarting the various devices, and about releasing the DHCP lease, but nothing has returned -full- functionality to my TV services.

Should I just kick the third-party router to the curb and replace it with the Verizon one?

Any thoughts or guidance out there?

Thanks in advance, folks...

Regards,

Darren

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Own Router, FIOS Service - My Version
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like the other posters said there are many different types of setups and it sound like you have a double NAT which is why it's not working. 

The first thing I'd do is hard reset your Verizon router and connect that to the ONT first. Once it is up and working, reboot all your set-top boxes then they will be back online. Log in to the FiOS router and turn off the wifi. 

Next Google setting up your TP Link in Access point mode. By doing this you will only have one DHCP Server which will be your Verizon router. The TP Link will only serve as a wireless AP. 

That will fix all your double NAT issue and everything will be on the same subnet. Also if you decide to get FiOS TV One you need the FiOS router first in line anyway. 

The red Video light on your ONT means the video light levels coming into the ONT are lower than they should. That won't have no impact on the FiOS app but it could translate to bad RF readings on your home coax cables. I would schedule a tech visit to fix you fiber issue and clear that red light.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

The new fios tv one requires the verizon branded Quantum router g1100 for tv to function. However at https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

you can see the different setups to using tv and internet with fios Quantum Gateway Router or your own purchased router.

basically if using the old set top boxes you need your own personal router, two splitters and a MOCA adapter to see the guide and video on demand. The link i gave you should be able to assist you.

if you want to use your own router also note verizon will give support only up to the ONT and thats it. I have internet only with a Netgear Nighthawk and i use a streaming tv service and voip service not verizons.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is probably a networking issue.

is your Wifi network the same subnet as your STBs?

If not, that might be the issue.

I believe the VID light is for video.

Surprised if it is red, that your TV service is working ok.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like the other posters said there are many different types of setups and it sound like you have a double NAT which is why it's not working. 

The first thing I'd do is hard reset your Verizon router and connect that to the ONT first. Once it is up and working, reboot all your set-top boxes then they will be back online. Log in to the FiOS router and turn off the wifi. 

Next Google setting up your TP Link in Access point mode. By doing this you will only have one DHCP Server which will be your Verizon router. The TP Link will only serve as a wireless AP. 

That will fix all your double NAT issue and everything will be on the same subnet. Also if you decide to get FiOS TV One you need the FiOS router first in line anyway. 

The red Video light on your ONT means the video light levels coming into the ONT are lower than they should. That won't have no impact on the FiOS app but it could translate to bad RF readings on your home coax cables. I would schedule a tech visit to fix you fiber issue and clear that red light.

Tramtrist
Enthusiast - Level 3

Edg1,

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I actually ended up getting a Verizon tech out to address the red light issue. He noticed that the ONT was subject to losing connection easily with a small jostle, so he made some adjustments to secure the connections more readily. So far, the VID light has remained green (or off, can't quite tell from the angle of the ONT). In any case, it hasn't gone back to red.

So, thinking that the third-party router had nothing to do with my being unable to stream TV content, and really preferring to have my own router rather than Verizon's, I have decided to try the third-party router thing again. I ordered the same MoCa adapter and kept the TP-Link router, and, again, my Internet seems to be working fine.

When I try to stream TV content through the Fios TV app, however, I am getting the horribly-punctuated and rather generic "Please try again and if the problem persists please open a ticket by going to Help & Report an Issue," followed by an Error Code.

Any thoughts as to why this may be? I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, thinking it's just a poorly-written app, but, so far, no satisfaction. I can't imagine you HAVE to have the Verizon router to reliably stream TV content...

Thanks again for any help y'all can provide.

Regards,

Darren

0 Likes
Tramtrist
Enthusiast - Level 3

I forgot to look at older responses before posting my latest question.

JonJones, thanks for your earlier response. You said "The new fios tv one requires the verizon branded Quantum router g1100 for tv to function."

Is this absolutely confirmed? If this is so, it would seem that the only part of "you can use your own router" that is completely accurate is for Internet service. If that's the case, I'll gladly return the third-party router and MoCa adapter (again).

I just want to make sure this is a 100% "known issue" (for lack of a better term) before I give up on having full functionality with the TP-Link router.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Darren

0 Likes
Re: Own Router, FIOS Service - My Version - Another Monopoly-based Tactic by Verizon
ronmail65
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been told by the pro-audio guys who set up my TVs, wired the house, etc...  that the Verizon provided router is an 'old technology' and is part of the problem for the weak Wi-Fi signal we have. 

I talked to Verizon about replacing it with a newer one.  They will not.

I asked them which brands / models of other routers are compatible if I want to purchase my own.  They said they do not have that information and recommended that I stay with their router.

Of course - they charge a fee for that router every month.  I can't wait for a new service provided to make themselves available in my community.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tramtrist wrote:

Edg1,

Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I actually ended up getting a Verizon tech out to address the red light issue. He noticed that the ONT was subject to losing connection easily with a small jostle, so he made some adjustments to secure the connections more readily. So far, the VID light has remained green (or off, can't quite tell from the angle of the ONT). In any case, it hasn't gone back to red.

So, thinking that the third-party router had nothing to do with my being unable to stream TV content, and really preferring to have my own router rather than Verizon's, I have decided to try the third-party router thing again. I ordered the same MoCa adapter and kept the TP-Link router, and, again, my Internet seems to be working fine.

When I try to stream TV content through the Fios TV app, however, I am getting the horribly-punctuated and rather generic "Please try again and if the problem persists please open a ticket by going to Help & Report an Issue," followed by an Error Code.

Any thoughts as to why this may be? I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, thinking it's just a poorly-written app, but, so far, no satisfaction. I can't imagine you HAVE to have the Verizon router to reliably stream TV content...

Thanks again for any help y'all can provide.

Regards,

Darren

Sorry for the delay...no the 3rd party router doesn't affect using the FiOS TV app. I have been using my own router for quite some time and haven't had any issues. When you try to watch something on the app does it work when you are at home? Or do you only get the error when you are trying to watch out of the home? I read your earlier post about the Yankees...that might be a blackout thing. Can you watch a regular show on say TNT or USA for example? I would also try creating the trouble ticket through the app just to see if anything comes of it. It sure does sound like an app issue and not an issue on your end.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tramtrist wrote:

I forgot to look at older responses before posting my latest question.

JonJones, thanks for your earlier response. You said "The new fios tv one requires the verizon branded Quantum router g1100 for tv to function."

Is this absolutely confirmed? If this is so, it would seem that the only part of "you can use your own router" that is completely accurate is for Internet service. If that's the case, I'll gladly return the third-party router and MoCa adapter (again).

I just want to make sure this is a 100% "known issue" (for lack of a better term) before I give up on having full functionality with the TP-Link router.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Darren

You probably can use FiOS TV One with your own router if everything is hardwired. The issue posters are having is they can't connect them wirelessly. The reason is that there is a hidden SSID/WPA2 that the Quantum router uses to connect to them. Also I doubt that you will be able to activate them without the Quantum router in place as primary. I use my own router with the VMS1100 but every once in  a while I connect my Quantum router because it won't get updates when I use my router. I would guess you would have the same issue if your tried to activate them without it.

Re: Own Router, FIOS Service - My Version - Another Monopoly-based Tactic by Verizon
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ronmail65 wrote:

I have been told by the pro-audio guys who set up my TVs, wired the house, etc...  that the Verizon provided router is an 'old technology' and is part of the problem for the weak Wi-Fi signal we have. 

I talked to Verizon about replacing it with a newer one.  They will not.

I asked them which brands / models of other routers are compatible if I want to purchase my own.  They said they do not have that information and recommended that I stay with their router.

Of course - they charge a fee for that router every month.  I can't wait for a new service provided to make themselves available in my community.

It's not really that it is an "old technology". The issue the Verizon routers are hardware. There are plenty of better wireless solutions out there. The main reason you have to use the Verizon routers is because they create a MoCA network for the set-top boxes. If you have issue with the wifi you can log in the router and turn if off and connect a wireless access point instead. You can also connect another wireless router and set it up in AP mode.

I think one of the issues that not just Verizon but all TV/internet providers is that they give wrong expectations on what to expect from wifi. Wireless is far from perfect and in a majority of houses one wireless access point is not enough. We are demanding way more out of wifi than ever before. For example that same wifi signal you have would have been fine 10 years ago when you were only checking email and web browsing. Today when we are streaming 4k video that is alot more demanding. I find all the time with friends and family who complain about for Netflix and such is that they isn't anything wrong with their internet they just have poor wifi signal and need an extender.