own router w/internet & tv
dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently, the Actiontec router (MI424WR) I purchased from Verizon some time ago has been providing poor wireless for my laptop. After working with tech support, I've come to the conclusion that the router is toast and cannot be fixed. Instead of renting or purchasing a sub-par Verizon router, I want to use a third-party router. I've done some research and think I understand the process (e.g., the steps located at https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 and https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Own-Router-With-Verizon-FiOS). I do have some questions that I hope someone here can clarify. FYI, I have both Internet (50/50) and TV and a coaxial cable is connected to the Actiontec. 

1. Is there anything else I need to do to the old Verizon router, other than releasing the DHCP Lease?
  2. Is there anything else I need to do to the new third-party router in order for FIOS Internet to work?
  3. For TV, which do folks recommend and why?
    1. Connecting an Ethernet cable from the LAN port of the third-party router to the WAN port of the old Verizon router, leaving the coaxial cable attached to the old Verizon router, and rebooting the Verizon router, OR
    2. Connecting the coaxial cable from my old Verizon router to the coax-in port on a MoCa adapter, and then connecting an Ethernet cable between a LAN port on the new router to the MoCa adapter's Ethernet port. And then rebooting the set top box after the MoCa adapter has been connected.
  4. Re: a new router, are there any specs of which I need to be aware in order for the router to work?
  5. Re: a MoCa adapter, are there any specs of which I need to be aware in order for the adapter to work?

TIA!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: own router w/internet & tv
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. First thing you want to do is get the new router connected and make sure you're online. Do your DHCP release on your Actiontec then immediately take the ethernet WAN and connect it to your new router's WAN. I have found the set-top box work better on the 192.168.1.1 subnet. I would recommend configuring your new router with that same subnet. 

Next reconfigure your Actiontec before you connect it to your new router. Change your Actiontec to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server. I personally connect LAN of my router to the LAN of the Verizon router. But I have seen it done both ways. And that is really it. Reboot you set-top boxes and verify you have Guide and OnDemand.

If you use a MoCA adapter instead it's even easier. Just connect it to the coax from the Actiontec and connect the ethernet to the LAN of you new router. 

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check out this:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

If you use your own router with Verizon set-top boxes, you'll encounter these issues:

• Support: Verizon will simply refuse to provide support for any issues past the ONT.  This includes all internet and TV issues.
  • Maintenance: Depending on the model of set-top-boxes in use, the router may need occasional updates to routing rules.  You'll know you need to do this when things stop working.  Other issues may come up and you'll have to deal with them yourself (see "support.").
  • Activation: The newest FiOS ONE boxes will not activate without a Verizon router.

In short, if you're the type of person who doesn't mind figuring out networking problems and adjusting router configs, you should be fine without a Verizon router (unless you need to activate FiOS ONE boxes).  If you want everything to "just work" and be able to call Verizon for help, stick with a Verizon router.

The newest WiFi-6 Verizon router sells for $299.  The previous router, the dual-band G1100, can be found used online for well under $100.  It's a decent router, although the WiFi range is less then the old single-band Actiontecs.  Verizon will support it.   If you buy a used one, make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case of any issues.

Good Luck.

dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. My current contract expires at the end of October and I'm getting rid of TV then. So I only need STB access for the next few months (and I don't have a TV One box). I'm thinking of going the route of using the existing Actiontec as a MoCA adapter and plugging it into the new router (to avoid the expense of purchasing a dedicated MoCA adapter, which I would use for only a few months). Any known issues in using this method?

I want to avoid purchasing a sub-par Verizon router (even a used/refurbished one). Any suggestions on what to look for in a good router?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. First thing you want to do is get the new router connected and make sure you're online. Do your DHCP release on your Actiontec then immediately take the ethernet WAN and connect it to your new router's WAN. I have found the set-top box work better on the 192.168.1.1 subnet. I would recommend configuring your new router with that same subnet. 

Next reconfigure your Actiontec before you connect it to your new router. Change your Actiontec to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server. I personally connect LAN of my router to the LAN of the Verizon router. But I have seen it done both ways. And that is really it. Reboot you set-top boxes and verify you have Guide and OnDemand.

If you use a MoCA adapter instead it's even easier. Just connect it to the coax from the Actiontec and connect the ethernet to the LAN of you new router. 

dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info! Do I change the new router's subnet directly after connecting the Ethernet cable to the new router's WAN port? When should I change the subnet on the old Verizon router? Am I able to do this after releasing the DHCP and unplugging the old router?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new router might already have the subnet of 192.168.1.1 so you might not have to change it at all. After you connect the new router to the ethernet WAN and go through the setup you can configure the router's subnet, wifi info and such. 

The Actiontec you can configure as soon as you are done getting the new router configured. When you are setting it up just connect it with a laptop or computer and nothing else. Don't connect it to the new router until after you reconfigure it.

dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the responses. Apologies for the follow-ups/subsequent questions, but I want to make sure that I have the steps down correctly. So....

1. Once the new router is connected and on, I configure it's IP to 192.168.1.1 (if it isn't already)
  2. Connect the old Verizon router directly to my computer (and NOT to the new router) and change it's IP to 192.168.1.2 AND disable it's DHCP server
  3. Connect the old Verizon router to the new router
  4. Connect the coax cable from the STB to the old Verizon router
  5. Reboot the STB

Do I understand this correctly?

Also, once Verizon enables the Ethernet port, I'm assuming the coaxial port is still enabled, right?

Finally, any suggestions on specs for a router?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem at all. I been using my own router for a while now. Both with a Verizon router and currently with just a MoCA adapter. 

Looks good to me. One thing I did forget to mention is turn of the Verizon router's wifi. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for all the help. Really appreciate it!

I've been looking at the setting for the Actiontec router (MI424WR) and don't see where to change the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2. Am I just dense or will it become obvious once I complete all the previous steps? Will this be a static IP address?

Just want to get my ducks in a row before I embark on this effort.

dollsey74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wait...is this it?

Click on My Network > Network Connections > Full Status > Network (Home/Office) > Settings. For Internet Protocol, select "Use the Following IP Address" and enter 192.168.1.2 for the IP address. Leave Subnet Mask as is (currently 255.255.255.0).

0 Likes