Packet loses between Verizon and Tellasonera
bigk57

When I do a ping plotter to my game server, I am seeing a huge chunk on a link that is having packet losses. Would this be you  or another vendor having the problems? If this is another verndor who do I speak to?

Edit: forgot the IP addresses to go along with the attchment

130.81.174.208 ae7-0.RES-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net
140.222.233.47 0.ae3.GW11.IAD8.ALTER.net

0 Likes
Re: Packet loses between Verizon and Tellasonera
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Try copying and pasting since your screenshot can not be zoomed.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Telcoguru wrote:

Try copying and pasting since your screenshot can not be zoomed.

Right click the image, and either copy the image URL or open it in a new tab/window. It's there in full resolution 🙂

The traceroute is telling me a couple of things. It looks like your connection to the router is wired, which is good. There is also a wide arrange of jiter to the second hop, which could be indicative of problems in the CO, or just ICMP de-prioritization which is common in the Internet. De-prioritization is evident as there is far less Jitter once it reaches Wargaming's server. The packet loss you're seeing appears to be starting after Hop 4 or 5. I am unable to tell at Hop 5 because it did not respond to ping attempts.

Are you seeing any speed issues with your FiOS Service minus the packet loss to the game server or to Telia? Telia has been a problem with Verizon for some time, and is hit or miss depending on the area. You'll usually see the problem between Verizon and Telia show up at the peering points, which are at Hops 7 and 8. Usually it's congestion.

0 Likes
bigk57

"Are you seeing any speed issues with your FiOS Service minus the packet loss to the game server or to Telia? Telia has been a problem with Verizon for some time, and is hit or miss depending on the area. You'll usually see the problem between Verizon and Telia show up at the peering points, which are at Hops 7 and 8. Usually it's congestion."

Yep, I see the same. I am not sure why in this day and age that we get this problem. I know the past history with Telia, however it use to not be this bad. I have no answer why that one hop has a total failure. I was not sure if the problem was another Verizon hop. I just wanted to make sure Verizon is ok and it does looks to be so. All other functions work with FIOS with no problems. Thanks for your response.

0 Likes
seitzbg
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bigk57 wrote:

"Are you seeing any speed issues with your FiOS Service minus the packet loss to the game server or to Telia? Telia has been a problem with Verizon for some time, and is hit or miss depending on the area. You'll usually see the problem between Verizon and Telia show up at the peering points, which are at Hops 7 and 8. Usually it's congestion."

Yep, I see the same. I am not sure why in this day and age that we get this problem. I know the past history with Telia, however it use to not be this bad. I have no answer why that one hop has a total failure. I was not sure if the problem was another Verizon hop. I just wanted to make sure Verizon is ok and it does looks to be so. All other functions work with FIOS with no problems. Thanks for your response.

oh I think you know why it's bad.  It rhymes with horizon.  This is the typical suck that I've seen over the past 6 months at almost every major peering point with major players.

0 Likes