Packet Loss affecting customers across the East Coast
securityfreak

I've had reports from at least 10 people from New York to Virginia on 1 Gbps Verizon FiOS stating they're experiencing complete intermittent drops in connectivity to apps such as Zoom, GoToMeeting, and even DNS resolution via 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.

After doing a fair amount of digging, I can correlate times where there are total connectivity drops from the Verizon FiOS network to these external destinations. 

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
10000 packets transmitted, 9954 packets received, 0.5% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.769/9.777/114.903/7.403 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
10000 packets transmitted, 9965 packets received, 0.3% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.041/9.355/114.905/7.335 ms

Within the Zoom application itself, observing 82ms of latency, 3ms jitter and ongoing 24.0-28.8% packet loss.

There are times where 4-5 users will be on a call at the same time, and all of the FiOS users specifically drop.  The users are spread across the East Coast, so it's not isolated to a specific area.

This has become more serious over the last few days, with the return of students to school (which isn't a factor in my household, but I'm experiencing the same issues).

This all appears to me like there are saturation issues occurring within Verizon's network to external providers.

0 Likes
Re: Packet Loss affecting customers across the East Coast
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi securityfreak,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes