Re: page can not be displayed errors
RandomJoe
So I think I set it up by changing my ip v4 and ip v6 DNS to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Joe,

From your last post it appears you have found the place to change it on one PC. But yes, you can do it PC by PC, or you can change the setting it the router so that it will work for all PCs that do not have something different defined in them.

Be sure to give us an update on how things go, good, bad, or indifferent.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
RandomJoe

My status so far...  The laptop, set to opendns's servers, now experiences no "page can not be displayed" errors.  The desktop and the wife's laptop, still using verizon's default dns setup, are experiencing "page can not be displayed" about every third refresh.

So does this mean that the problems I am experiencing are from Verizon's DNS? 

If so, what would Verizon do about it?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Joe,

Well, I think it gives a pretty good indication that the problem relates to Verizon's DNS somehow. Why not go ahead and change another pc to use OpenDNS and see if the problem goes away for that pc. If it does, wipe out the OpenDNS addresses in it and see if the problem comes back. If it does, then post the results here, and send a PM to Techman28 or one of the other Verizon employees here asking them to review this thread.

Or you could just decide to use OpenDNS, which as I said is what I have done and it works fine with no adverse effect on anything that I can see. Or you could call the FSC and see if they will listen.....I have no idea what could be wrong or what Verizon could do to fix your problem, I most certainly have never seen it.

Good luck. And keep us informed how it goes.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@RandomJoe wrote:

My status so far...  The laptop, set to opendns's servers, now experiences no "page can not be displayed" errors.  The desktop and the wife's laptop, still using verizon's default dns setup, are experiencing "page can not be displayed" about every third refresh.

So does this mean that the problems I am experiencing are from Verizon's DNS? 

If so, what would Verizon do about it?

Just had a nice post all typed out and it vanished when I hit send.

I would let your computers be, and set the DNS settings in the WAN connection configuration in the router. Under the WAN connection settings your would just change Obtain IP Server Address Automatically to Use The Following DSN Server Addresses. This way the router uses Verizon for all the WAN parameters except the DNS and Verizons DNS servers are not even seen. Your PCs could all just use the router IP for DNS which is the default. If all your problems go away then do as Justin said and PM one of the Verizon employees here. I am sure it would help for them to know the verizon DNS IP addesses being assigned to your router. Just my 5c worth.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-06-2009 08:54 PM
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-06-2009 09:01 PM
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-06-2009 09:02 PM
0 Likes
RandomJoe

I have just changed the DNS server on my desktop to opendns because of so many refreshes being required.  I can't believe that I am the only one having this problem in my area.  I do plan on a) calling verizon and b) investigating treewalk. 

Anyone have anything to say about using treewalk? 

0 Likes
2250Lou

RandomJoe.....

I am wondering if you ever got a confirmation from Verizon the problem was in their DNS server or something else?  I live in Westchester County NY and started having this same problem a few days back.  I am new to FIOS having switched from Cablevision's Cable Internet service only a month ago and this DNS problem is very frustrating....

0 Likes