Parental Control Not Blocking Youtube on One Computer
Archer271
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have this same issue. I've created a parental control profile with 2 computers and 2 blocked websites: youtube.com, and pbskids.org.

One computer is unable to access either of the sites, the other is only able to access youtube.com. I am suspicious of there being different routing happening behind the scenes that is not properly captured by the simple URL blocking.

Please advise on how to resolve.

0 Likes
Re: Parental Control Not Blocking Youtube on One Computer
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Archer271 wrote:

I am suspicious of there being different routing happening behind the scenes that is not properly captured by the simple URL blocking.

Different routing happening, humm... That could be a possibility. Establishing different routes or even creating a network translation service on a home network can easily hop over built-in Parental Controls. If your children know how to do that, they should certainly consider network security as a career.

I think for your scenario, it may be caused by uncleared DNS cache on that computer. If you have a Windows, open up the Command Prompt and do

ipconfig /flushdns

For Macintosh, I am not quite sure the command.

After cleaning the DNS cache, the computer will re-query the DNS server every time a URL is typed into the browser, but at that time, the Parental Controls will block the DNS response.