Parental Controls Fix (Playstation + Others)
Goralondos

Hello Everyone!  

Hopefully this message finds the right people who have been looking and asking over the last few years how to fix this.  I did this change last night and much to my son's disappointment, it worked! If that changes, I will go back and let you guys know and either delete or change this post.   

Problem:  The FIOS application(s) are not able to block certain device types with Parental Controls.  The big one in my household is the PlayStation 4, but I've seen other examples.    

Solution:  

1)  Figure out your PlayStation (or other device) IP Address.  This can be done many ways, if your not sure how, search the internet for directions on your specific device.  

2) Log into your FIOS Router (if you need help with this, there are many threads that explain how on this as well)  

4) Click Advanced -  it will give you a warning about proceeding - click yes

5) Select Network Objects, then select ADD +

6) Name the object in the description and select ADD + 

7) Type in the IP Address from Step 1 and select Apply

😎 If this worked correctly, you should now see a network object in the list

9) Select the Firewall menu option - it will give you a warning about proceeding - click yes

10) Select Access Control, then Select ADD +

11) For Networked Computer / Device - select the Network Object you created in Steps 5-8. 

12) For Protocols, I recommend selecting Any

13) For "When this rule should be applied" select user defined

14) It will take you to a sub menu where you will set the rule schedule, name it, and select when it will be active.  Once your done setting those preferences, select apply. 

Review everything and that's it!   

One note - if the device IP address changes, steps 5-8 would need to be adjusted.  There are ways to avoid this both on the device and using the router if your concerned about the IP changing.  

Enjoy!   

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Parental Controls Fix (Playstation + Others)
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you subscribed to Home Network Protection?

Normally, the Parental Control settings in the router should not be disabled.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is quite puzzling. Why does putting an IP address into a group solve the issue? If you just select the IP address, it does not work?

Goralondos

For most, maybe everyone, when they go to the Parental Controls, they are going to see this:  

From there, you download the application, and you can assign almost all network devices to groups and put controls in place.  For some reason, some are exempted like the PlayStation:

This work around resolves that.   In terms of router configuration, I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it, if there is a shorter way to resolve on the router side, can provide those directions, I'm sure the people would love to do less steps then I provided.  

0 Likes
Goralondos

Second Image:

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you subscribed to Home Network Protection?

Normally, the Parental Control settings in the router should not be disabled.

wlennox

I also have this issue, but this suggestion did not solve it.  As soon as I add any device, it the Wi-Fi gets disabled, no matter what the schedule looks like.  Why can't we go back to the old system that actually worked.  The introduction of McAfee has really screwed up a very convenient system that worked fine.   

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@wlennox wrote:

The introduction of McAfee has really screwed up a very convenient system that worked fine.   

You can disable Advanced Parental Control and other McAfee feature through your Fios account online. I am not sure the exact steps to do that, unfortunately.

0 Likes