Parental controls over device with random MAC hardware addresses
rmur23
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I have the myfios app which does a fair enough job of parental controls EXCEPT for the fact that my son has a Windows 10 CPU which has the option for random hardware addresses (changing the MAC with every new login).    

So I can restrict the wifi time periods of the MAC address he's using at any given time, but upon a restart he has a new address and I have to do it all over again.  At times I've had 15-20 different MAC addresses listed in my Fios device list, all from the same device with same name.   And usually after a couple weeks, the app or the router 'forgets' the various MACs and the process starts all over again.

Yes, I know I can toggle off random hardware access on his computer, but he is a teenager and he knows his way around this.

I used to be able to access all the devices on myfiosgateway / 192.168.1.1 which had slightly better parental control functions than the app, but that IP doesn't load up my device list anymore for whatever reason.  I can still access some of the other features within myfiosgateway, but unsure if any of them will help me.

Anyone have any suggestions how to apply an 'umbrella' control over the same device using multiple MAC addresses via fios app, router control, or even command prompt/registry stuff?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Parental controls over device with random MAC hardware addresses
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Under Firewall -> Access Control.   It defaults to using the "seen" hostnames, but you can select "user defined" and then set specific IP or Mac addresses.

Incidently, it occurs to me that another way to accomplish this might be to not give out the wifi password to the main network and instead let them only on the Guest network (with a different password).   You can then turn the guest network on/off as desired to limit screen time.

View solution in original post

rmur23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just to clarify: I don't want to completely turn off the router/wifi at any given time because I have other smart devices/surveillance cameras on, etc.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably won't have much luck when security is MAC based.

The random option is designed specifically to prevent being tracked.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two possible approaches although neither is full-proof.  

First, turn on MAC filtering and register the MAC addresses of all authorized devices on your network.  Block any unknown MAC.   If your son changes the MAC to a random one, then he won't be able to access the internet.   If he changes it to one which matches another device on the network, he's going to create a conflict and his traffic (or that of the conflicting device) may have difficulty reaching the internet.  

Another approach might be to block all outbound port 53 traffic (DNS) except to one of the number of "filtering" DNS services.   This would allow you to block access to specific content, but not control the amount of time on the network.

Absent that, change the wifi password each time he does it and refuse to give it to him for increasingly longer times until he starts complying with the "house rules".   "My internet, my rules" as the saying would go.

rmur23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks, is MAC filtering still somewhere within the myfiosgateway interface?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Under Firewall -> Access Control.   It defaults to using the "seen" hostnames, but you can select "user defined" and then set specific IP or Mac addresses.

Incidently, it occurs to me that another way to accomplish this might be to not give out the wifi password to the main network and instead let them only on the Guest network (with a different password).   You can then turn the guest network on/off as desired to limit screen time.

Not applicable

Under Advanced Security Settings: 

Wireless MAC Authentication (Allows you to limit access to your wireless network by allowing only those devices with specific MAC addresses.)

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes