Periodic Outages
grmartin

Periodically (2x/month-ish) i loose internet connection. This seems to typically occur  around a large and/or repetitive network operation... (Downloading all 5 Debian Linux ISOs, Syncing Assets to S3, etc.; I'm work at home Computer Programmer and DevOps admin)

Every time the Quantum router shows no Error (White Globe). Nor does the ONT (1-211M-K; no error indicators) in my basement. However in every case (literally) cycling the power on the PS/BBU (by used of the blue button) attached to the ONT resolves it.

All the while whatever long or repetitive operation that was in process, crashes due to a lost connection or timeout. I do such things 2-3x a month. Oddly enough, that third time... it doesnt fail.

What can i do to prevent this issue? Is it 'normal' in terms of the devices expected operation? Does anyone have a suggested way to cycle it without having to get physical access? (i have to pull out and climb a 3 step ladder... they mounted the BBU/PS on the basement rafters)

[EDIT; 201706030422Z] -- It only seems to affect data (internet)/OSG (while part of the set top box, all the other functions work, so i assume the OSG is internet based).

0 Likes
Re: Periodic Outages
jonjones1
Legend

The problem is the router only need be refreshed. You don't need to do anything to the ONT unless Verizon tells you to do anything with it.

once a week sometimes once a month I get the dreaded chore of recycling my router.

i will be connected but the speed is apt to be a might slow. Then again I use my service for residential pleasure and not to perform the duties and functions you are putting your connection through.

i cannot stress this enough that you may want to get rid of the Quantum G1100 and simply use your own router. I always go high end but there are mid range priced routers that are rated higher than the green wave brand of router.

no need to get on a ladder since you should not have to access the ONT or the Battery Backup Unit. I wish Verizon locked the boxes so no one can mess with them until Verizon sends a tech out. But for now it is what it is.

0 Likes
grmartin

I actually do have my own router, the default G1100 doesnt cover my house...

TPLink <-> G1100 <-> ONT

Is the current setup, the G1100's wifi is disabled, and its wired in to the TPLink. Do you have a suggested high-output coax in router that works with the DVR and programming guide?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@grmartin wrote:

I actually do have my own router, the default G1100 doesnt cover my house...

TPLink <-> G1100 <-> ONT

Is the current setup, the G1100's wifi is disabled, and its wired in to the TPLink. Do you have a suggested high-output coax in router that works with the DVR and programming guide?

No unfortunately I don't use that setup.

i directly use the ONT-Netgear Nighthawk

i then use my own wifi, and in my patio I use a Netgear Extender which is really not needed but I can move it out to the yard if necessary. 

I do not  use any other Fios services, sorry.

0 Likes