Phantom audio on FiOS Internet connection
grannysmith
Enthusiast - Level 1

About 4 p.m. January 1 2013 I started having the strange problem that phantom audio would break into what I was doing.  I do not have FiOS TV at all, I don't even own a TV.  I was getting bits of interviews including one on health and diet, another with a home designer, an ad for Ben Ten on cartoonnetwork,, audio from WTOP radio, an ad for laundry detergent, and Slavic music.  When I watch Hulu, I can stop this by moving the mouse cursor outside the movie window.  In other cases I have to do a restart on the computer, only to have the problem recur within 20 minutes. 

I don't know enough to make a serious suggestion.  The only thing I can think of is that I got a new laptop and set up a wireless connection for it, but I turned that off before I shutdown the OS on the laptop.  But maybe the wireless is picking up something?  And why random -- WTOP is broadcast radio and Ben Ten is on Cartoonnetwork?  And why the 20 minute window? And why can I stop it when I run Hulu in a browser window but not otherwise?

I do a lot of audio from MP3 lectures saved onto my hard drive and having this phantom audio break in is really a problem.  Help appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Phantom audio on FiOS Internet connection
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this only one computer seeing this problem and does it seem to be from random sources each time? Have you tried another set of speakers if this is a desktop? Have you checked for malware in the computer using a tool such as MalwareBytes by any chance?

Re: Phantom audio on FiOS Internet connection
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

fyi: WTOP also does streaming audio.

0 Likes