Piblic IP appeared, weird connection's services
MVvega
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I've had this IP (192.168 etc) since I started using FiOS. There was also one Local Area connection in My Network Places. Today however, another one appeared, Gateway Acces, and under it's properties I have a list of some random services (about 200) like games, phone services and many others hard to explain such as IP, HTT, WCAM the list goes on. Additionaly my IP changed to 74.105........whatever. Does anyone have an idea of what that is and why it happened? I can still view the main Local Area connection properties and it says my IP is 192...as it should, but when I check my IP online it's changed. When I disable my main connection (Local Area Connection), the new one automatically goes off as well. Verizon wasn't able to explain what happened. I've even formatted my hdd and installed a fresh OS to make sure the pc is clean. When I type the new adress in a browser I acces my router's settings..which is weird as the guy said, because I should not be able to acces it from a public IP. So I'm all lost here? I'd appreaciate any info on this one. Thanks

EDIT: I've tried resetting the router already. Didin't help. The FiOS Connection Wizard didin't work as well, couldn't connect to the router.

Message Edited by MVvega on 06-07-2009 10:44 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Piblic IP appeared, weird connection's services
nycrdc
Contributor - Level 1

The IP address 192.168.1.1 is the Routers address. Your public IP Address is the address that servers outside of your house see.

Gateway access is a number used to control the connection to FIOS's ISP network (if this number were wrong your internet would stop working) The 200 service are programmed to route all the possible service you may use to their appropriate ports (with the exception of setting programmed for port forwarding in the router itself.

To answer your question Your IP address has not changed. Your LAN Connection reads the IP address at 192.168.1.X This is normal because the router assigned your PC an IP address.

Your IP address online (http://www.whatismyip.com/) is the public IP address that webserver see.

As for being able to access the router through the local IP have you tried accessing it through you local IP from a location other than your house?

I can access my router in my house using a public IP but not from outside of my house. If you can access you router from outside your house  then try to restore the router defaults.

Login to the router -->click on advanced tab-->select yes-->click restore default, This should solve the problem.

Message Edited by nycrdc on 06-09-2009 03:26 AM

View solution in original post

nycrdc
Contributor - Level 1

The IP address 192.168.1.1 is the Routers address. Your public IP Address is the address that servers outside of your house see.

Gateway access is a number used to control the connection to FIOS's ISP network (if this number were wrong your internet would stop working) The 200 service are programmed to route all the possible service you may use to their appropriate ports (with the exception of setting programmed for port forwarding in the router itself.

To answer your question Your IP address has not changed. Your LAN Connection reads the IP address at 192.168.1.X This is normal because the router assigned your PC an IP address.

Your IP address online (http://www.whatismyip.com/) is the public IP address that webserver see.

As for being able to access the router through the local IP have you tried accessing it through you local IP from a location other than your house?

I can access my router in my house using a public IP but not from outside of my house. If you can access you router from outside your house  then try to restore the router defaults.

Login to the router -->click on advanced tab-->select yes-->click restore default, This should solve the problem.

Message Edited by nycrdc on 06-09-2009 03:26 AM
MVvega
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the reply mate. It cleared a lot for me. Yes, I was accesing my router from a local PC. I still don't understand why it just started to be this way. Before, whenever I was checking my IP online it was my router's adress (192.168.1.1), never had a public IP.
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

Well, the way it is now is the way it is suppose to be. The way it was before was set up wrong.

Best way to access your router, that I have found is to go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and copy paste your public ip into your browser and hit enter. This will take you to your router login screen.

Hope this helps.

MVvega
Enthusiast - Level 2
Oh, so it was set up wrong since the begining. That's weird isn't it? At least I know what's what now;] Thanks folks, kudos to both of you.
0 Likes