Please Help — Can't Get Google Nest WiFi to Work with FIOS
HelpMePlease11

So I have FIOS Internet with GB connection, and FIOS TV service.  I recently bought a Google Nest WiFi router + three pucks to improve the wireless connection throughout my home. 

I'm having trouble getting it to work properly. I've tried plugging my Nest router into an ethernet port in multiple rooms (I've confirmed I get close to GB speed when plugged in directly), but the wireless service is far lower, in the 100-200mbps range, sometimes lower. I've also tried turning off the broadcast signal from my FIOS router, but it hasn't helped much.

I've tried contacting Verizon support about this, but they've been unhelpful and even unwilling to help. Google WiFi support said it's an issue on Verizon's end that I need to fix with the settings. In one case, Verizon told me to adjust a setting that was totally grayed out (I forget what it was — it was a while ago).

I'm illiterate when it comes to tech stuff, but can follow step-by-step instructions. Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to do with my Nest router and Verizon router and settings and whatever else so I can get this setup to work?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Please Help — Can't Get Google Nest WiFi to Work with FIOS
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelpMePlease1 wrote:

I've tried plugging my Nest router into an ethernet port in multiple rooms (I've confirmed I get close to GB speed when plugged in directly), but the wireless service is far lower, in the 100-200mbps range, sometimes lower.

If you confirmed close to gigabit when plugged in directly then that rules out verizon as the issue. Verizon has no control over the wifi in the Nest. I would try contacting Nest support again. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Google WiFi support said it's an issue on Verizon's end that I need to fix with the settings." They have to substantiate the claim.

Since you can connect an ethernet device on the wall socket, that generally means the Verizon router is doing its job. The problem is that you need to configure your Nest system. Can you give us the model number for the Nest at least? Did you buy the Nest system from Verizon?

HelpMePlease11

Model number is GGL-WIFI4PK-C2

Did not buy it from Verizon.

Verizon customer service said as much too (that settings need to be configured with the Verizon router), but the reps I talked to were not the most tech-savvy and I got bounced around a lot. There are also a few similar posts related to the topic on this forum, but I couldn't decipher exactly what to do to get it to work properly. 
0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a tough one because its manual is hard to find. Have you considered Verizon solutions? They are better documented and Technical Support can help you.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon support only helps with Verizon equipment.  I'm not sure about their paid support service; you should check what they cover before spending any money.  If you are willing to pay to get support, you may have better luck with a local shop.

To rule out any issues with your in-wall wires, plug the Nest directly into an Ethernet port on the Verizon router.   The Nest and Verizon router should now be near to each other, however separate them by at least a foot, if not more.  Then, compare the speed you get when connected to the Nest to the speed you get when connected to the router.  If they are similar, you know it's not an issue with the Nest configuration.

You should also run the Verizon speed test to make sure your router can get close to gigabit speeds.  If it's not, then you've a different issue.  Here's the link:

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

If the speed is below 700 or 800Mbps, Verizon support should be willing to help.  You can also come back here, as we can provide further diagnostics and ideas.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@HelpMePlease1 wrote:

I've tried plugging my Nest router into an ethernet port in multiple rooms (I've confirmed I get close to GB speed when plugged in directly), but the wireless service is far lower, in the 100-200mbps range, sometimes lower.

If you confirmed close to gigabit when plugged in directly then that rules out verizon as the issue. Verizon has no control over the wifi in the Nest. I would try contacting Nest support again.