Port Forwarding for a Nintendo Switch
Phorespher

So... I have a Nintendo Switch and I have a game that the wifi really hates. It lets me play but I cannot play with anyone else except by my self. I contacted the support for the game that I play and they suggested I contact the ISP about having it stay at UDP at certain ports. How can I make that happen?

0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding for a Nintendo Switch
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you ask Nintendo support what ports do they use to achieve multiplayer function? Are those ports dynamically allocated through UPnP or stays static?

0 Likes
Phorespher

Thing is it is this one game that has trouble with this. Its called warframe. I play overwatch and it lets me play with other people no problem. Its this game that has this much trouble. What they said is to port foward to a certain UDP. They also said this: the game does not care what public port is mapped – it just cares that it stays mapped (or that the mapping will work for all your friends). I have tried the port forwarding and I have no idea how to use it. when I try, it does not show in the exceptions.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phorespher wrote:

What they said is to port foward to a certain UDP. They also said this: the game does not care what public port is mapped – it just cares that it stays mapped

I still have the same question: do they use UPnP to forward the port dynamically? To better assist you, I need to know the mechanism of their "port mapping."

If they use UPnP, then the port has to be dynamically mapped and that's the entire point of UPnP. Using UPnP while expecting a static port mapping is missing the point of using UPnP.

The previous paragraph is my comments regarding UPnP. Can the ports stay "mapped," sure, it can be done. Go to Advanced > Universal Plug and Play > uncheck Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services.

If you need further assistance, I am happy to help.

Phorespher

Would that be on the my fios gateway?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct. Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1 in your home network or myfiosgateway.com

You should see something like this. This is the interface for G1100. I don't have a G3100 laying around. G3100's interface should look somewhat similar.

0 Likes
Phorespher

The second option is disabled by default.

0 Likes